Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

users subscribed with invalid email > lots of bounces (2.2.6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• users subscribed with invalid email > lots of bounces (2.2.6)

My problem is certain users may sign up with an invalid email (email verification is off) or they can change the email after registering or it can be disabled etc. Meanwhile they are subscribed to multiple threads and all the emails sent to their accounts are being bounced. Is there an automated way to deal with this in vb? Or is it included as a fix in a newer release? Otherwise one might want to look into it.

I'm running vb 2.2.6 with various patches applied (though none email related).
    Last edited by numerodix; Sun 8th Dec '02, 8:56am.

Actually this is the reason to enable email verification in the first place. I doubt there will be a better way to deal with this than is already available.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

My server admin suggests the following solution:

how about adding a return-path to all emails that are sent out, checking the mailbox periodically for bounces and flagging an account if the email address appears to be invalid? vb can then check for the flag and not send any more email to the user in question until a working email address gets submitted.

Comment

AFAIK the return-path is added by the mail server and would be overwritten even if vB added one.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

If you use sendmail, see this thread. May start there if it works.
          Cygwin - all the tools to make Windows complete (cvs, vim, diff, grep, gcc, ssh, ...)

Comment

Originally posted by numerodix
            My server admin suggests the following solution:

how about adding a return-path to all emails that are sent out, checking the mailbox periodically for bounces and flagging an account if the email address appears to be invalid? vb can then check for the flag and not send any more email to the user in question until a working email address gets submitted.
            This is on our todo list as well. Currently, we use modified code to display a warning to users in a specific usergroup where we put users who have been getting a lot of bounced e-mails returned and have registered with an account that for whatever reason is no longer valid. This also disables all mail() calls for them.

An automated setup to get them into this usergroup is what we will eventually be aiming for, however with the non-standardized way that undelieverable e-mails are formatted, there's no safe way to accomplish this in every case.

For example, some web-based e-mail services will bounce mail if a user is over quota--if that's the case we don't want to invalidate the e-mail address for the user.

Even if we were able to get that to work completely, the code would be very server-specific and require access to sendmail's conf files.

Best wishes,
            Paul

Comment

Working...
            X