Attachments not attaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachments not attaching

I'm having problems with attachments silently failing to actually attach. They seem to upload OK and you proceed to the sucessful post screens, but they aren't there. I'm seeing this and so are our users. There are no errors either to the poster or to the admin e-mail address. (At some point one user was trying to attach something such that they were generating SQL errors, that that was quite a while ago). Some small attachments do seem to make it through, but large ones fail consistantly (our attachment size limit is set to 25000000, though I've tried 0 as well).

I'm running 2.2.9 (upgraded from 2.2.6) on FreeBSD 4.6.2 with apache 1.3.26, mod_php 4.2.3, and mysql 3.23.52.

Any idea what's wrong or how to debug this?

-- Brooks

Upload the phpinfo.php file from the 'extras' directory of the zip file to your forums directory. Then post the URL here. This will help us troubleshoot the problem.

P.S. I have seen some unexplained problems with FreeBSD servers.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Upload the phpinfo.php file from the 'extras' directory of the zip file to your forums directory. Then post the URL here. This will help us troubleshoot the problem.
      The server is behind a firewall, but here's a static version:

http://www.one-eyed-alien.net/~brooks/phpinfo.php.html

-- Brooks

Comment

Nothing in php I can see that would cause this problem. What size files are you having a problem with? Your php.ini is limited to 2Mb and there could be a further limitation in yoyur MySQL setup.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          Nothing in php I can see that would cause this problem. What size files are you having a problem with? Your php.ini is limited to 2Mb and there could be a further limitation in yoyur MySQL setup.
          Hmm, it looks like we've got two problems. First, the 2MB limit was causing silent failures (since you can check it, it would be nice if you used that to whine at the admin when they set there attachment size too large). Second, there's a mysql problem. Using a 1MB test file, I managed to trigger that problem and got the message below. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

-- Brooks

Database error in vBulletin 2.2.9:

Invalid SQL: INSERT INTO attachment
          (attachmentid,userid,dateline,filename,filedata,visible) VALUES
          (NULL,1,1038882360,'bogus-1m.doc','\0......
          mysql error: MySQL server has gone away

mysql error number: 2006

Date: Tuesday 03rd of December 2002 02:26:00 AM
          Script: http://bboard.aero.org/newreply.php
          Referer:

Comment

To answer my own question, searching for php and "MySQL server has gone away" found some useful information. The cause of this is sending a mysql packet that is too large for the server which causes it to close the connection to PHP. The mysql default is apprently quite low. To fix it you need to run the mysql server with the --set-variable=max_allowed_packet=16M option. With 3.* servers you can't go over 16M which probably limits attachment size to something less then that.

-- Brooks

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X