X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persistant Connection to Database

Is it better to have it on or off?

What are the downsides and benefits?

I am expecting ~ 600 simultaneous users on my forums.

Thank you!

- Alex

there aren't really any benefits to having it on. all it does it eat up more RAM on your server. it's best to leave it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
      there aren't really any benefits to having it on. all it does it eat up more RAM on your server. it's best to leave it off.
      But if I leave it off, and only 100 connections can be down with MySQL at any given time (right?) wouldnt that limit to 100 simultaneous users?

- Alex

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
        But if I leave it off, and only 100 connections can be down with MySQL at any given time (right?) wouldnt that limit to 100 simultaneous users?

- Alex
        if persistant connections are turned on, yes. but if you turn that feature off then you shouldn't have any problems supporting 600 simultaneous users with a max connection limit of 100.

with persistant connections turned off, a database connection is created when a page is loaded and dropped immediately after the page finishes loading. you won't hit your max connection limit unless 100 people are simultaneously loading a forum page.

Comment

if persistant connections are turned on, yes. but if you turn that feature off then you shouldn't have any problems supporting 600 simultaneous users with a max connection limit of 100.

with persistant connections turned off, a database connection is created when a page is loaded and dropped immediately after the page finishes loading. you won't hit your max connection limit unless 100 people are simultaneously loading a forum page.
          So basically unless 100 people click the page link exactly at the same time, I will be fine, right? What about 1000 sim users? Same thing?

- Alex

Comment

So basically unless 100 people click the page link exactly at the same time, I will be fine, right? What about 1000 sim users? Same thing?

- Alex
            yep. the question is not how many simultaneous forum sessions you have, it's how "concentrated" your forum traffic is. as long as your forums aren't serving more than 100 pages at any given time you will be fine.

Comment

yep. the question is not how many simultaneous forum sessions you have, it's how "concentrated" your forum traffic is. as long as your forums aren't serving more than 100 pages at any given time you will be fine.
              Gotcha!

Thank you!

Anyway I can "track" page serving?

- Alex

Comment

Anyway I can "track" page serving?

- Alex
                you mean like a log of your highest number of simultaneous database connections? probably, but i don't know how.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X