2.2.9 & Birthdays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.2.9 & Birthdays

I just upgraded from 2.2.8 to 2.2.9 and the upgrade was seamless. I was wondering why my users birthdays still show up as December 31, 1969 when their user cp's have their correct birthdays. This problem has been reported for months.

Robert

And the fix has been reported for just as long.

According to one of the Developers:

"It's a limit of how the date() function works on certain systems. Breaks in Windows as well. Times less than Jan 1, 1970 will be negative relative to the epoch, and some OS's don't handle that. (I saw this once before on a *nix box, but I can't remember the specifics of the setup.)"

Here's the post with the fix:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...737#post303737

To fix this you need to find this line in member.php:
    $birthday = @date($calformat1,mktime(0,0,0,$bday[1],$bday[2],$bday[0]));

And replace it with:

$birthday = @date($calformat2,mktime(0,0,0,$bday[1],$bday[2],1993)) . ", $bday[0]";
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Steve Machol
      [i]And the fix has been reported for just as long. [QUOTE]

No disrespect, but for $85 per year don't you think vbulletin should have made the fix and not make each licensed owner fix their own?

Robert

Comment

AFAIK the fix only applies to specific Windows server having this problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          AFAIK the fix only applies to specific Windows server having this problem.
          It was also introducted in Red Hat 7.3 (not sure about 8.x).
          Interested in Linux?
          Have a question?
          http://www.linuxquestions.org

Comment

You're right. This should have said 'specific servers' - not Windows servers.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

You're right. This should have said 'specific servers' - not Windows servers.
              I fixed it with the new code, thanks. I just hope GM doesn't adopt that philosophy. "GM is aware that the 2001 Silverado 2500HD has a steering problem on some trucks, please fix it yourself, instructions enclosed."

Have a nice Thanksgiving, I'm off to deep fry a turkey,

Robert

Comment

The only thing wrong with that analogy is the problem is with the OS, not vB specifically. Beyond that all I can do is let the Developers comment on this. I was just trying to help you fix the problem - and on Thanksgiving at that! .

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

The only thing wrong with that analogy is the problem is with the OS, not vB specifically. Beyond that all I can do is let the Developers comment on this. I was just trying to help you fix the problem - and on Thanksgiving at that! .
                  And I do appreciate that. Your fix solved the problem. When researching vB I specifically chose Ventures Online to host my site because they met all the vB parameters. I didn't think I would have to tweak since I chose a very good hosting company.

Thanks again,

Robert

Comment

There is another file that needs to be modified. I just got a new user to my forums and this is the information I received:

There is a new user, Eric Sheets at Danelen.com Forums

To view their profile, go here:

http://www.danelen.com/forums/member...info&userid=31

Email Address : [email protected]
                    Homepage : http://
                    Birthday : December 31, 1969

Biography : I like to work my ACDs on cattle, SAR and agility
                    Interests : Dogs, SAR, non-fiction (history)

The birthdate is wrong in this message but right everywhere else. BTW, I have Ventures Online TS looking into this matter. Steve?

Thanks,

Robert
                    Last edited by rfdesq; Sun 1st Dec '02, 8:47pm.

Comment

Interesting. I take it this is from the email notification when a new member registeres, right? I really don't know why this is happening. I can only guess that the birthdate in the email is either processed before the change in member.php or by another script. Perhaps a similar change needs to be made to this line in register.php:

$birthday = @date($calformat2,mktime(0,0,0,$month,$day,0));

I'm not a programmer so I don't know what change, if any, is needed.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Interesting. I take it this is from the email notification when a new member registeres, right? I really don't know why this is happening. I can only guess that the birthdate in the email is either processed before the change in member.php or by another script. Perhaps a similar change needs to be made to this line in register.php:

$birthday = @date($calformat2,mktime(0,0,0,$month,$day,0));

I'm not a programmer so I don't know what change, if any, is needed.
                        I have to approve each member, so this was the email alerting me that someone registered and wants to join. I wouldn't get any complaints from the forum members because I am the only one who would see this. Can you pass this along to the programmers so that vB3 might not have this problem. VO is also looking into this as we speak and I will report back their findings.

Thanks,

Robert

Comment

VO Response

Here is VO's response posted with their permission:

Unfortunately I do not have any experience using the Vbulletin software. If there is some setting on your server that you would like me to look at just let me know and i'll be more than happy to look or even modify a setting to see if it resolves the timestamp issue it's having.

As brad pointed out, we run a vanilla install of RedHat. The only thing that I can think of that would be common on all servers is Cpanel. It's possible that the Cpanel install changes some setting within the Apache web server, php config, or another peice of software that causes this issue.

-------------
                          Regards,
                          Zach Weber
                          VenturesOnline.com

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by rfdesq
                            Here is VO's response posted with their permission:

Unfortunately I do not have any experience using the Vbulletin software. If there is some setting on your server that you would like me to look at just let me know and i'll be more than happy to look or even modify a setting to see if it resolves the timestamp issue it's having.

As brad pointed out, we run a vanilla install of RedHat. The only thing that I can think of that would be common on all servers is Cpanel. It's possible that the Cpanel install changes some setting within the Apache web server, php config, or another peice of software that causes this issue.

-------------
                            Regards,
                            Zach Weber
                            VenturesOnline.com

Robert
                            It's not CPanel. I get the same problem on plain Redhat 7.3 with no control panel.

Does that fix that was published work for all servers regardless of this 'negative' date thing? If so, why wasn't it changed in the code for 2.2.9?
                            http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

Originally posted by fastforward
                              It's not CPanel. I get the same problem on plain Redhat 7.3 with no control panel.

Does that fix that was published work for all servers regardless of this 'negative' date thing? If so, why wasn't it changed in the code for 2.2.9?
                              I have forwarded your comments to VO. As to the question, I'll let Steve respond.

Robert

Comment