Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waddy
    replied
    The best thing to do is to head over to vbulletin.org and grab the hack "attachments as files" its the best.

You can even convert all the attachments which are in binary to files.

I have got 500MB of attachments and my attachments table is about 2MB in total.

It is easy to install.

Leave a comment:

• Floris

• Floris
    replied
    You could also go with phpmyadmin to your database and check the table for attachments and empty it? or at least remove the ones that are storing a lot of mb's.

Leave a comment:

• Smoothie

• Smoothie
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevlar
    Check here ... http://www.bimmerforums.com -- that's the forum with the 1.5GB of attachments.

I haven't figured out a way of doing this yet. I heard that vB3 is supposed to help solve this kind of problem so I'm just kind of treading water hoping that the attachments DB doesn't spontaneously combust.

I've pruned a bunch of threads (optimized tables) and no such luck in even making a dent in the attachments table. I'll take a look for that hack by freddie... it could at least help me keep an eye on things until I figure out how to write a mySQL query to check to see if the attachment is being used by a post, then if not, delete it.
    There's a hack over at vb.org that stores attachments as files rather then in the db. Might want to check it out.

Leave a comment:

• Kevlar

• Kevlar
    replied
    Originally posted by xiphoid
    I wanted to have a look at your site, but your www button only shows a forum that has 1 member, I doubt your community is that big and that the one member uploaded 1.5 gb

My advice would be to prune the attachments. But obviously that didn't help. - How did you prune just attachments ?

Over at vBulletin.org freddie has posted a 'Quick Stats' hack that displayes the used database space and attachments size. I use it to keep track of the size. Maybe you can install it to check out some stats.
    Check here ... http://www.bimmerforums.com -- that's the forum with the 1.5GB of attachments.

I haven't figured out a way of doing this yet. I heard that vB3 is supposed to help solve this kind of problem so I'm just kind of treading water hoping that the attachments DB doesn't spontaneously combust.

I've pruned a bunch of threads (optimized tables) and no such luck in even making a dent in the attachments table. I'll take a look for that hack by freddie... it could at least help me keep an eye on things until I figure out how to write a mySQL query to check to see if the attachment is being used by a post, then if not, delete it.

Leave a comment:

• Floris

• Floris
    replied
    I wanted to have a look at your site, but your www button only shows a forum that has 1 member, I doubt your community is that big and that the one member uploaded 1.5 gb

My advice would be to prune the attachments. But obviously that didn't help. - How did you prune just attachments ?

Over at vBulletin.org freddie has posted a 'Quick Stats' hack that displayes the used database space and attachments size. I use it to keep track of the size. Maybe you can install it to check out some stats.

Leave a comment:

• Kevlar

• Kevlar
    started a topic Large Attachments Table

Large Attachments Table

Alright... I was reading the board and I understand that a large attachments table is a bad thing. Well, I checked my attachments table size today and it's 1.5GB big.

I'm thinking that something might be wrong with my attachments table... cause 1.5GB is huge! It's possible that during a crash in the past the attachment table got messed up and it may be holding attachments that are no longer referenced in the board. Is there anyway to check to see if all the attachments in the table are being used?

Option 2 is I just have way too many attachments and I need to prune some, but I've been pruning and optimizing the table and the size just doesn't seem to want to go down.

(i didn't know if this post should be here or over in the mySQL forum -- so I copy/pasted it here) just in case.