vB and E-mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vB and E-mail

I was just wondering... how does vBulletin send Email?
    Like the activation E-mails to users, etc...
    I don't think upon install I configured any E-mail or SMTP information. How does it just work? It's possible to send E-mail with PHP without an SMTP server?

It uses PHP's mail() function for all its email. And PHP must be configured to use a mail server.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

is there a way to make vb send out html formatted emails
      all i have seen are text ones

Comment

That would require hacking. Check over at vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

How does one configure PHP for mail?

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          It uses PHP's mail() function for all its email. And PHP must be configured to use a mail server.
          How does one do this? I am unable to send mail via vB right now. Excpt for this little glitch - I LOVE VBULLETIN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tctheatre
            How does one do this? I am unable to send mail via vB right now. Excpt for this little glitch - I LOVE VBULLETIN!!!
            You or your host needs to edit php.ini for the correct sendmail_path, then restart your web server.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Wouldn't the easiest way to include html would be to generate a mailing list and just use a normal e-mail program that allows for html and just paste those addresses into it before sending?

That is what I plan on doing when I send out a mass e-mail in a week or two.
              Marc

U.S. Politics Online

Comment

Originally posted by marcjd
                Wouldn't the easiest way to include html would be to generate a mailing list and just use a normal e-mail program that allows for html and just paste those addresses into it before sending?

That is what I plan on doing when I send out a mass e-mail in a week or two.
                You can build an email list in the Admin CP. However I believe the original question was regarding the normal vB mail functions.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

You can build an email list in the Admin CP. However I believe the original question was regarding the normal vB mail functions.
                  I did understand it to be regarding the normal VB mail functions. I just thought it would easier to do it the way I stated instead of trying to install hacks and the like.

With regards to the email list function in Admin CP, is there a way to include their names with the e-mail addresses? Or can this only be done via the normal vB mail function? Which I presume would be a reason to use it over the e-mail list method.

Thanks,

Marc
                  Marc

U.S. Politics Online

Comment

Originally posted by marcjd
                    I did understand it to be regarding the normal VB mail functions. I just thought it would easier to do it the way I stated instead of trying to install hacks and the like.

With regards to the email list function in Admin CP, is there a way to include their names with the e-mail addresses? Or can this only be done via the normal vB mail function? Which I presume would be a reason to use it over the e-mail list method.

Thanks,

Marc
                    Use the $username variable in the message text.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Use the $username variable in the message text.
                      What I meant was can this only be done using vB's e-mailing set-up and not in the export e-mail option? Thanks.

Regards,

Marc
                      Marc

U.S. Politics Online

Comment

Ya lost me.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

The $username variable won't work in a normal email system as the variable isn't declared, however, it is declared in vBulletin, hence why you can use it.

I think that's what you were asking.

Comment

Ya lost me.

What I was talking about doing was getting a username with their e-mail address when you export the mailing list in vBulletin. Understand?
                            Marc

U.S. Politics Online

Comment

Ah, that would require hacking I'm afraid.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X