Restoring from .sql file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring from .sql file

I have a backup file..... now I need to know how to restore from it...

thanx.....

Hi,

Do you have access to ssh on your server?

mysql -uyourname -pyourpass dbname < /path/to/dump.sql

Comment

no......don't think so

it is a plesk panel

Comment

Hi,

Yeah, Plesk is your control panel, but are you sure you do not have access to the server via telnet or ssh? If not, you might want to try phpMyAdmin or have your host install phpMyAdmin. I would suggest though that you see if you have ssh/telnet access. It saves headaches when trying to backup and restore databases. If you do not have this access, ask your host if you can have ssh access. It's more secure than telnet.

Comment

I have no idea about SSH or telnet..... but i do have phpMyAdmin

Is their a way through that.... I am new to databases, so any thing would be helpfull

Comment

Sure. It may or may not work though. It's really not the best way to accompish a database restore or dump.

But regardless, if you have phpmyadmin, you can create a database on your server, open up your sql file and copy the contents of the sql file into the query box in phpmyadmin. Hit submit query and cross your fingers.

Again, I really don't suggest this as a fix for not having ssh access to your server. You may want to do the suggestion I mentioned about contacting your host first and seeing what you do and do not have for access. If you do not have ssh access, you may opt to see if the host will set this up on your account.

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/

There is a resource available to you from the support pages here at vBulletin. The above link is a manual for vBulletin. It's quite helpful as well.

Comment

my server doesn't allow SSH or Telnet for "security reason".
                so, phpMyAdmin is my only shot

Comment

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear that but I can understand the hosts point of view at the same time.

Well... You really have two choices here.

1) Try your luck at the above mentioned with phpmyadmin.
                  2) Find a host that will allow you ssh access.

While I can understand the host's point of view, it is pretty difficult to maintain and manage a sql database with just the phpmyadmin alone. And in fact, not the safest way to backup and restore databases. There are a few issues with using phpmyadmin for these purposes. It's a great tool to use, but access to the prompt is something that I myself couldn't do without and is a great advantage in terms of managing, backing up and restoring your databases amougst other things.

Best wishes to you,

Comment

There's another option:

3) Ask your host to restore the backup for you. It only takes a couple of minutes and it's the least they can do for not allowing an essential tool like SSH. Plus if they give you a hard time, it'll be a good indication that you should find another host.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

hmm, well ok, Thanx for the support. Very much apreciated.

Comment

Nobody has ever posted a complete restore sequence

This thread is a year old now yet it is current in my opinion.

In contradiction to what Steve above said, it doesn't always take a few minutes to restore a database. Mine was a 263 Mb sql file and it took a good two hours and a half to restore on a 700 MHz Celeron. (yeah, yeah, I know, that's not a real computer )

Which brings me to the reason for this post.
                        Nowhere in the threads that I have searched for in regards to restoring a vbulletin database have I seen (complete) instructions as to how one should proceed once the backup is restored on the server.

Perhaps now is as good a time as any?

This database was created by version 2.28. Subsequently I had a diskcrash which destroyed the drive so I installed version 2.33 on the new drive yesterday.
                        I restored the database in question and then typed the URL of the forum which yields an error message (slight problem with the database... an email has been dispatched to our Technical Staff...blah) so that was obviously not correct.

What should I have done instead?

(PS - using backspace deletes 2 characters on Vb 3.0 is there going to be a fix for that?)
                        Last edited by Polinco; Sun 16 Nov '03, 7:29pm.

Comment

Polinco, to get vB support on these forums you first need to be a licensed customer and register for Priority Forum Support. To do this, please click HERE and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page.

If you still have problems after doing this, send an email to [email protected]. Please include your user name, then email address you registered with and your customer number so we can fix the problem.

Also see the answer in the other thread you posted in:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...463#post559463

And backspace doesn't delete 2 characters on these fotrums. In fact, this is the first time I've heard this reported.

And finally I have a 120 Mb backup file that takes about 4-5 mitures to restore. Two hours is very abnormal, and of course results will depend on the server power and configuration.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

As I have explained in "the other thread" I AM licensed and I HAVE registered for these forums multiple times already, I am surprised I am not in your database.

So, may I ask for your help to my problem now?
                            I got that error so obviously something is not kosher. but what?

As to the deletion of two characters with the bacspace, I found that this is a problem with the browser I was using (Netcaptor 7.2) and shall inform its creator accordingly.

I have given the server power as a Celeron 700 Mhz. It has 392 Mb of memory, a 60 GB hard drive and it runs under Red Hat Linux 9.x

Comment

I answered your question in the other thread. In the future please start a new thread so it will make it easier to help you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Working...
                              X