Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Post Indicator does not go off after all posts are read

Hello again-

When I log into the site to read new posts, the new post indicator on the far left next to the forum name is active. I go into the thread, read the posts, then backout to the main page again to read another thread.

Even though all posts in said thread have been marked read, the new post indicator is STILL flashing.

How do I fix this?

It also does the same thing with PMs. I will have a new PM, read it, it is marked read in my mailbox, but it still says I have a new one when I back out to the main screen.

Thanks again,

MMmmGood

Even after you've refreshed the page? And your cookies are on?

Comment

Yes and Yes. The only way to get them marked read is to click "Mark all Forums Read" at the bottom of the page.

Note: The threads themselves are marked as read, but the topics are not.

Comment

The new post indicator will not reset until your session times out or you logout.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

How do I make my session time out sooner then? Every other Vbulletin forum I visit, including yours, marks a thread as read in realtime. Once i've gone through all the posts, the new post indicator on the thread stops moving.
          Last edited by MMmmGood; Wed 13th Nov '02, 8:33pm.

Comment

I don't see how this could be. However the session times out along with the Cookie Timeout setting. Note that if you make this too short (the default is 900) then people will be logged out much more quickly.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Okay, maybe im not making myself clear. Let me take some screenshots and post em....gimme a few minutes

Comment

Hmm...I tested my theory on these boards, and it still didnt work. Let me post the screens anyway.

In this one you can see I have read all threads that have new posts...

In this one, you can see the new post indicator is still flashing in the Return To Castle Wolfenstein Forums

Is there anyway you can make the session timeout when they leave the page?

Comment

This is normal behaviour. As I said the new post indicators won't reset until the session times out or the user logs out.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Well if I logout, yes it does reset, but then I have to manually re-login again.

Is there a way to make the session timeout when I close the web browser?

If i lower the session timeout time, will it mark posts as read even though they arent?

Comment

No.
                      Yes.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Could you explain to me what exactly the session timeout is?

If a user is not active, but has the boards open, is that when the timer starts?

Comment

its from the last time the user loads one of the forum pages, if they dont click anything else within 900 seconds their session is deleted and their last active time set in the user table.
                          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Oh, okay. Thanks

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X