Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible 2 Save posts, etc. for fresh install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible 2 Save posts, etc. for fresh install?

I would like to know if it is possible to save a file or backup in which I can completely delete my 2.2.6 installation and do a fresh install of 2.2.8? And then somehow upload all the member info and posts that were already made on the 2.2.6. board to the now 2.2.8 board?

If so, can you please give me a run down as to what I need to do.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

All you need is to do a normal upgrade. Here's the instructions:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/upgrade.html
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thank you for the reply.
      I guess I should have mentioned that I am familier with the upgrade process and have done this in the past. However I wish to do a complete fresh install. I have put in so many hacks and alterations that I want to start with a fresh board. I would simply have a better piece of mind. I will at one time install further hacks to the fresh install, but this time I intend to keep better records and reorganize my files.

So, is there a way to save the member info and post info and insert it into a freshly intalled board?

Comment

i would also like to do this with vb3 when it comes out, but maybe install the latest version clean then upgrade, heh

just go to backup and choose what you want to save then save and restore it, am i right?
        Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Originally posted by DanIAm
          So, is there a way to save the member info and post info and insert it into a freshly intalled board?
          Not easily. These tables interact with other tables in the database. and there's no simple way to do what you want. Sorry.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Has this changed in the more than 2 years since this post was made?

I have big problems. The coder that I had working on my board did a complete abortion on it,deleted the default skin, hacks half deleted, stray code all over the place, it's a mess and next to impossible to dig out all the code he changed.

So in a test folder, I did a completely fresh install, and installed the hacks I wanted myself.
            What I want to do is transfer all the accounts and posts over to the new install and abandon the old one.

If I transfer the whole db over, will I also transfer all the crap I don't want?
            Last edited by carpefile; Wed 19 Jan '05, 1:39pm.

Comment

probaly, upload new default fresh files and 99% of your problems will be fixe.d

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                probaly, upload new default fresh files and 99% of your problems will be fixe.d
                Forgive me if I appear to be pestering you, but your answer seems to me to be a bit vague.
                Are you saying that I should overwrite my board install, but use the same db?

Will this do away with any left over code scattered about in my install?

Comment

He is suggesting uploading the original vB files to eliminate any hacked files. This does not require reinstalling.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X