Show 'edited by' for admins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show 'edited by' for admins

Would someone mind explaining how this works to me?

Admin cp > Vb options > Edit options

Show 'edited by' for admins?
    If you want the [edited by xxx] message to appear when an admin edits a message, select yes here. This message will appear automatically for all moderators and other users, but using this option you can optionally turn it off.
    Setting this to no will not show the edited by text for super moderators (I've not tested this with moderators)--the option clearly says it's for admins... is this a bug? Or is the description incorrect?

Thanks,
    Paul

Edit: I meant "no"
    Last edited by Paul; Fri 8th Nov '02, 8:03am.

Looking at the code in editpost.php, setting this option to yes will prevent any edit messages from being added.

PHP Code:
     if ($showeditedby and $postinfo[dateline]<(time()-($noeditedbytime*60)) and !($getperms[ismoderator] and !$showeditedbyadmin)) { 
    Either the description is wrong or the code is. I'd recommend considering adding a separate option that applies only to moderators ($showeditedbymod).
    Last edited by Paul; Thu 7th Nov '02, 11:52am.

Comment

Here's a temporary workaround:

PHP Code:
        // Bug fix: Show edited by admin setting affects all moderators - Nov 7, 2002 : http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58241
        /*
        if ($showeditedby and $postinfo[dateline]<(time()-($noeditedbytime*60)) and !($getperms[ismoderator] and !$showeditedbyadmin)) {
          $editedbysql=",edituserid='$bbuserinfo[userid]',editdate='".time()."'";
        */

if ($showeditedby and $postinfo[dateline]<(time()-($noeditedbytime*60))) {
          if (
      $bbuserinfo['usergroupid']==and !$showeditedbyadmin) {

$editedbysql=""; }
          else {

$editedbysql=",edituserid='$bbuserinfo[userid]',editdate='".time()."'";
            }

// End bug fix: Show edited by admin setting affects all moderators

Last edited by Paul; Thu 7th Nov '02, 11:58am.

Comment

Not to keep replying to myself, but... anyone?

Comment

Maybe because I don't understand what you are saying is wrong. Want to try again?
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            Maybe because I don't understand what you are saying is wrong. Want to try again?
            Hah.. Okay

Problem:

In the Admin CP there is an option in vBulletin options:

Show 'edited by' for admins?
            If you want the [edited by xxx] message to appear when an admin edits a message, select yes here. This message will appear automatically for all moderators and other users, but using this option you can optionally turn it off.
            When this is disabled (set to "no"), The "This post was edited by xxxx" message will not be shown when anyone with moderator permissions (getperms[ismoderator]) edits a post. This includes Moderators, Super Moderators, and Administrators. (What's actually happening here is that the edit variables aren't being set in the post's record period--it's not really a question of displaying it--vBulletin will display edit information if it exists in the database entry, assuming of course, you leave the templates intact).

Since vBulletin has an "Administrator" group by default and users in this group have significantly different permissions than those labeled as "Moderators" or "Super Moderators", I think it's safe to assume that using the word "admins" is either incorrect or this function does not work correctly.

Solutions:

Either the description of this feature needs to be worded in such a way where it is clear what usergroups it affects (i.e. "Moderators/Admins"), or the code needs to be modified to do what it currently suggests: squelching only the "Edited by" messages from posts when an account in usergroup 6 edits a message.

If it infact is intended to be for all moderators, then perhaps a new setting needs to be added that affects only Administrators.

For an example of a possible "fix" for this code, see the above post with the quoted php.

I don't think I can make this any clearer.

Edit: I meant disabled.
            Last edited by Paul; Fri 8th Nov '02, 7:58am.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveShack
              When this is enabled (set to "yes"), The "This post was edited by xxxx" message will not be shown when anyone with moderator permissions (getperms[ismoderator]) edits a post. This includes Moderators, Super Moderators, and Administrators.
              I can't duplicate this with my unhacked 2.2.8 test forum. When I set this to 'Yes' the 'Edited by....' message displays for Mods and Admins.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I can't duplicate this with my unhacked 2.2.8 test forum. When I set this to 'Yes' the 'Edited by....' message displays for Mods and Admins.
                Oh, sorry. I meant "no" I guess I could have been clearer

Comment

I still can't duplicate the problem. Setting this to 'No' turns the 'edited by...' message back on for Mods on my test forum but not for Admins.

Note that Super Mods have the same privileges as Admins on the forums and setting this to 'No' will suppress this display for them as well as Admins.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Hrmm. I thought I tested this with a regular moderator, but perhaps I didn't. In any case, if it's supposed to work for Super Moderators too, the description should be changed to reflect that:

Show 'edited by [xxx]' for admins and super moderators:

The flag it's checking for is ismoderator.

Comment

I agree - the description is misleading.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I think, the following query should fix this:
                        Code:
                        UPDATE setting SET title='Show \\'edited by\\' for admins and super moderators?',description='If you want the [edited by xxx] message to appear when an admin or a super moderator edits a message, select yes here. This message will appear automatically for all moderators and other users, but using this option you can optionally turn it off.' WHERE varname='showeditedbyadmin';
                        I've highlighted the changes.

Edited the query. Using varname would be better. {Stadler}
                        Last edited by Stadler; Sat 9th Nov '02, 4:42pm.
                        Hints & Tips:
                        [[vB3] More Spiders / Indexers / Archives for vB3 - list]|[List of one-time-emails to ban]

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...efox_80x15.png

Comment

I agree - the description is misleading.
                          Note for those upgrading: This was not fixed in 2.2.9 Final. Neither the description nor code was changed.

Best wishes,
                          Paul

Comment

I keep getting this error whenever I try to post to this thread.

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 15 seconds exceeded in /www/beta.jelsoft.com/htdocs/forum/includes/functions_bbcodeparse.php on line 515
                            vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

Let's try splitting the message up.

Stadler, shouldn't that be like this:

UPDATE setting SET title='Show \'edited by\' for admins and super moderators?',description='If you want the [edited by xxx] message to appear when an admin or a super moderator edits a message, select yes here. This message will appear automatically for all moderators and other users, but using this option you can optionally turn it off.' WHERE varname='showeditedbyadmin';
                              You had 2 extra slashes in it.
                              vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X