replied
    Yikes.. I will do that right now.

Thank you for understanding.

Leave a comment:

• mishkan
    replied
    Originally posted by Teea
    and I find this under template
    No, it's not in the vB templates. It's in the index.htm file, itself.

Have you worked on your web pages with HTML? Have you used an FTP program? Do you know your domain FTP username and password?

If these questions make you feel like you're totally in the dark, then, as your first step in getting control back over your web site, I think you should contact your web host's tech support. Tell them your situation, and ask them to tell you all the basic info for your domain account. Ask them how you can upload and download files to and from the web server.

BTW, I also suggest you ask your web host to help you change all your passwords. It's a security risk that your tech knows your old passwords, especially if he or she left on not so good terms, which sounds possibly the case, since he or she undid all the work on your board before leaving.

Leave a comment:

• Teea
    replied
    and I find this under template

lol at this rate, I'm not sure if I want to change things

Leave a comment:

• mishkan
    replied
    Originally posted by Teea
    is "HEAD" the Header?
    Yes, it is the section between the < head> and < /head> tags.

What sorts of things do you want to add to your site? I'm still a newbie in most web site things, but if I can help, I certainly will point you in the right direction.

Leave a comment:

• Teea
    replied
    I will try.. Thank you for being so understanding with explaining.

I will ask though.. is "HEAD" the Header ?

Also, where would someone so non intelligent go to learn how to add items to my site. I really would rather not cluster up the forums with my "how do I's"

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by mishkan
    Steve and everyone... are there any advantages or disadvantages of using the .htaccess method over the HTML method?
    Hmmm...if there are I'm not aware of them.

Leave a comment:

• mishkan
    replied
    Teea, the .htaccess method is a good one. But if you're too intimidated as a newbie, then here's a method using HTML, which you may already be familiar with. Simply add this META tag in the HEAD section of your welovefreestuff.com/index.htm file...

< meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL=http://www.welovefreestuff.com/forums/">

Of course, leave out the space between the "<" symbol and the word "meta".

Steve and everyone... are there any advantages or disadvantages of using the .htaccess method over the HTML method?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You would need to set up an .htaccess file in your root web directory containing something like this:

Code:
    Redirect permanent /index.html http://www.welovefreestuff.com/forums/

Leave a comment:

• Teea
    started a topic Re-directing

Re-directing

I used to have a hack on my site from portal ( I think it was called ) but my tech left and changed my site back to factory style. when I type in www.welovefreestuff.com.. I get a blank page.. but when I type in www.welovefreestuff.com/forums... it works.. my problem.. is before there was a re-direct so members (registered or not) didn't have to type in www.welovefreestuff.com/forums when they type in the normal name.. they would be re-directed. Even though this as only been a day since this was done.. I'm already getting emails from people asking where the site went.

Please when explaining, keep in mind I never had to fix items like this.

Thank You in Advance.

P.S. Is there a place for "newbies" to go and start learning how to add items to their site ? I'd love to get it back to the way I had it.
Working...
X