Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rav3n
    replied
    okay . i think i'll just wait for vb3 then because it's very arduous redoing all the php modifications.

thanks everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by Rav3n
    - if i upgrade to 2.2.8, do i lose my template/style? i have added the vbportal and many template alterations.
    Upgrading won't overwrite any cusomized styles. However it will overwrite any changes you've made to the vB php files.

Leave a comment:

• Rav3n
    replied
    Originally posted by freddie
    the only "bug" is if you allow forums to inherit their permissions instead of directly setting them. That allows thread titles to be seen on Who's Online (but they still can't be entered).
    yes, that's what's happening now.

Originally posted by freddie
    Then you have a permissions problem to figure out
    as far as setting all the correct permissions for the 'private' forums when i started them, i did. so if it's not a standard setting, where do i begin to look for the permission problem now? i have no idea.

also going back to one of my original questions...

- if i upgrade to 2.2.8, do i lose my template/style? i have added the vbportal and many template alterations.

thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied
    Then you have a permissions problem to figure out as the only "bug" is if you allow forums to inherit their permissions instead of directly setting them. That allows thread titles to be seen on Who's Online (but they still can't be entered).

Leave a comment:

• Rav3n
    replied
    done that too.

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied
    Set all Private subforums permissions directly instead of counting on them to inherit the permissions from a parent forum.

Leave a comment:

• Rav3n
    replied
    i have 'masks' on.

when you say;

Check permissions for that forum that for registered users Can View is set to no
    do you mean the following;

Posting Options
    Private forum
    (Invisible to all except moderators and admins; user access masks must be on!)
    if so, i've checked the 'Yes' option for that too.

Leave a comment:

• Scott MacVicar
    replied
    Do you have access masks turned on?

Check permissions for that forum that for registered users Can View is set to no.

Leave a comment:

• Rav3n
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
    Are you sure that regular members can see it?
    yep. i logged in under a regular 'test' member name with Netscape & was still logged in under my admin name with Internet Explorer. my admin name was viewing a hidden forum & the regular "test" name could see the thread title i was viewing through the "who's online" function.

the reason this issue came about was because one of my mods made a thread in the Mod Board about a problem poster using the problem poster's name in the thread title & that member pm'd my mod telling her "why was she making secret threads about him?"

this is when she reported it to me. i did some investigating & found that the leak was coming from the "who's online" area.
    Last edited by Rav3n; Thu 7 Nov '02, 6:08am.

Leave a comment:

• Scott MacVicar
    replied
    Are you sure that regular members can see it? It should only show the thread title if the user has permission to see that forum. Else it should just show Viewing Thread without the title after it.

Leave a comment:

• Rav3n
    started a topic "who's online" bug

"who's online" bug

i know i should have upgraded to version 2.2.8 by now but sadly haven't had the time & i still have 2.2.7

PROBLEM: when a mod is posting in the moderators forum, the thread name/title appears in the "who's online" and regular members can see it.

i consider this a small security problem because members can see the thread title and thus know who & what we are talking about.

is there a way to amend/fix this?

btw, if i upgrade to 2.2.8, do i lose my template/style? i have added the vbportal and many template alterations - so it would be a shame to have to do all this again.

thanks in advance.
    - Rav3n
Working...
X