Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database Compression

My database is currently ~450mb.

I was wondering if there are anyways to compress this database down without having to resort to purging posts

A secondary issue I am having has to do with backups...
    I only have 500 mb on my server, so I can export my DB, but I don't have enough room to gzip it. (I get a 'out of disk space error') Is there anyway around that issue without buying more disk space?

Thanks
    www.discussanything.com

If you are downloading it anyway, just don't gzip it.
    I always find that if i am download text (mainly it will be) on my 56k, rather than usual 4k download speed i get about 22k. It's some sort of internet magic thing

You should use the archiv hack at vbulletin.org and compress most of you're old posts

~Babylon

Comment

Thanks for the advice on the archive hack, I may look into that.

Well, at 450 megs, it takes a fair amount of time to download the DB even on DSL.

And then of course a fair amount of HD space (halg a gig isn't insignificant) so I need to gzip it before download.
      www.discussanything.com

Comment

that's a bit of a problem then... :/ Not exactly sure how you'd get round it but i bet someone with more knowledge than me will post at some point

Comment

There's a hack on vB.org called Archiv for vB that allows you to compress certain threads in your db, saving space. Have a look for it.

Comment

You could dump and compress the database in chunks... one table at a time or x number of records at a time for the big tables.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X