Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie PHP question

Hello,

I have installed VB2.2.8 with php3 extentions. I found that I could not install onto my server with the regular php extentions... and I'm finding that many hacks I wish to add to my site use php, not php3 (vbportal for example)...

My question is, what is the differance between php and php3 (told ya, newbie), and if I have a vbb installation with php3 extentions, will I be able to use a hack like vbportal lite that uses php extentions?

Thanks for any help

MacKenzie

You'd have to ask the hack authors about using their scripts with php3, but the only difference between the vB .php and .php3 files is the extension.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hrmm... was just talking with a friend who happens to know far more about php, and he said there was a bit of a differance...

I tried simply changing the extentions anyhow, and it was still a no-go (probably isn't as simple as changing the extentions, but I thought it was worth a try ).

The problem I get when I try to run php scripts on my server (including when I was trying to install the vbb files with regular php extentions) is I get a blank black screen... My server's running php version 4.0.6. What might be causing that problem? If I can use the regular php vbb, I'll switch back to that (or should say simply switch to).

My friend suggested writing my own home-page (vbp-like) php scripts, but I must say I'm rather intimidated at trying that just yet

Comment

Make sure you server is set to to recogise .php as a php script.

Under apache it would probably look something like:
        AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml .php3

Also, it'd say it's better have .php as you're file extension because as far as i know (although i could be wrong) the .php3 extension is deprecated.

Comment

How would I check to see if it does or change it? The server is one I rented, not my own machine, and my knowledge of apache is less than php

Thanks for the help

Comment

tough one, it depends very much on the server, and what control panel etc they offer you... If they have a link called mime types, that's the one It should list all the different types of files on your site and the extension they should have, for example:

User Defined Mime Types

-

System Defined Mime Types

application/andrew-inset ez
            application/mac-binhex40 hqx
            application/mac-compactpro cpt
            application/msword doc
            application/octet-stream bin dms lha lzh exe class so dll
            application/oda oda

Comment

Originally posted by MacKenzie
              Hrmm... was just talking with a friend who happens to know far more about php, and he said there was a bit of a differance...
              I said there was no difference in the vB scripts between .php and .php3 versions except for the extension. This is far different from saying there is no difference between PHP3 and newer versions.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ah, ok. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X