This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spontaneous Deletion

I am an admin for a board on my friend's site. My friend has not been paying his bill for the website lately.... all of a sudden, beginning this past Monday morning, certain tables in the db apparently disappeared spontaneously - that is according to the host.

my sysop says vbulletin does this sometimes.. it just says **** it and goes corrupt
    I was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of this, or my friend is getting fed a bunch of BS (I'm siding with the latter.)

Thanks.
    sigpic

No, there is no bug in vB that causes tables to disappear 'spontaneously'. Of course, it's very easy for a person with root access to remove the individual tables at will.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Of course, it's very easy for a person with root access to remove the individual tables at will.
      Exactly my concern.
      sigpic

Comment

You may want to upload getanewhost.php and paythebill.php to your /admin directory

Comment

I'll upload yourebeingservedwithalawsuitfordestructionofprivateproperty.php

rofl...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf
            I'll upload yourebeingservedwithalawsuitfordestructionofprivateproperty.php

rofl...
            If you read tos.php you'll see they probably reserved the right to do as they did.

Comment

Well, the host fails to close the entire account as stated in the TOS, he only damaged these files. Access to the server is still possible, so the account is not closed.

So basically, the host violated their TOS. They only reserved the right to close the account AND delete, not OR.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf
                Well, the host fails to close the entire account as stated in the TOS, he only damaged these files. Access to the server is still possible, so the account is not closed.

So basically, the host violated their TOS. They only reserved the right to close the account AND delete, not OR.
                Trust me, there are always loopholes that let them do this kind of thing. They wouldn't knowingly give you ammunition. If they really didn't like you, they'd just reserve their right to kick you off no questions asked.

Comment

Then why the big show by the host? Why not just come out and say it? Why the big charade with "Oh, VBB sometimes burps and screws up certain tables that delete all forums and posts but leaves everything else intact."

*shrug* Not my site :/
                  sigpic

Comment

Don't ask me, I'm not the host.

If you look around most troubleshooting though, you'll always find that the host says "it's a vbulletin problem and they should have a patch" even if you're running the latest version.

Comment

I don't want to keep prologing this tangent, but the bottom line is that payment was not made for the service and it is becoming increasingly apparent that this is not a problem with vBulletin itself.

I think the next logical step would be to get in touch with your friend and ensure arrangements can be made to continue operating your forums. If your friend is failing to meet his end of the contract and is neglecting to pay for services rendered, you're fortunate that you can even access the site.

I'm sure you'll find that the provider includes a statement in their disclaimer that they will not be held responsible for any loss of data. Your friend has learned a hard lesson.

Have him find a reputable host that he can afford. Try the Hosting forum here on vb.com.

Comment

It's a rhetorical question. If you're not the host, you shouldn't be interpreting their policies either :/

The reason I posted on here was to get it straight from the VBB team.... if there was a bug or not (even though I knew the host was laying on the BS) and I received a reply that there is no such bug.
                        sigpic

Comment

We have a new host lined up, I'm just trying to explain the situation, although the background situation really isn't the issue here.

Edit: Intentional malicious deletion is not the same as "loss of data."

Anyways.... I think the question has been answered. Further replies aren't necessary.
                          Last edited by Seawolf; Tue 22nd Oct '02, 10:25pm.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes, and you are certain that this is "malicious" because you have no evidence to back that up.

You're right, no further replies are necesarry

Comment

Actually I have plenty of evidence to back it up, I'm just not sharing it with you Bernardo because it really is not necessary for my question regarding vbb to be answered, nor is it any of your business really.

Why the attitude? Why do you care?
                              Last edited by Seawolf; Wed 23rd Oct '02, 4:44am.
                              sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X