Limit on replies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limit on replies?

How many replies to a thread does this version of vBulletin support? I notice that the Cocktail Bar thread has 7600-odd replies so far, and I know some other vBulletin boards look to lock threads after about 400-500 replies as the underlying database gets cranky if they grow much bigger than that, leading to lost content and restoring from back-ups. Are we in any danger of that here?
    I had this question from a reader. Is this something I need to think about?

Thanks

8ball

I'd also like to know. I have a thread which is called "Biggest thread!" which is for a reason , we currently have 10100 replies to it and I want to know if it is ok with backups etc? I know vB can handle threads with over 100000 replies though, look at this:

http://forums.gtplanet.net/showthrea...&threadid=2298

110000 replies and growing, and it still works fine...

Comment

I don't know where your user gets his information but the database does not get "cranky" when a thread hits a certain amount of replies. The number of replies to a thread is irrelevant.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ead#post352251

Comment

...although I think the theoretical limit is 65,535 the way it's stored in the db; the number of views used to be limited to that because the view counter would just stop incrementing at that point.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Nope, that wouldn't make sense, come to think of it, because posts to threads are referenced to threadids in the post table; views are just a counter (int(10) now). So I suppose however many rows you can have in a single MySQL table is the limit.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

The theoretical limit on the number of replies that forumdisplay shows a thread as having might be 65535 (I would have to double check that) but there is no limit on how many replies the thread actually has.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X