[howto] Make your forum search-engine spiderable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suffeks
    can you paste the code for the .htaccess file, because attatchment doesnt work, then i can just create it, thanks...
    No, you must download it (this prevents piracy).
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

But I see what you mean all of a sudden. Posting bug report...
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

ya i already posted the bug, they said its fixed, but i guess not...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...504#post381504

Comment

ok, when i uploaded the .htaccess file, i get an error saying i dont have permission to access the page, any page actually in the /forums dir, can this be fixed?

Comment

The attachments are fixed now, guys.

ok, when i uploaded the .htaccess file, i get an error saying i dont have permission to access the page, any page actually in the /forums dir, can this be fixed?
            Add Options +FollowSymlinks to the top of the .htaccess file and it should work.

Comment

ok thanks, i will try that when i get home. i have another question, is it possible to add to the url still a referrerid of say userid=2, so people off of search engines, if they join, the userid gets credit?

Comment

Originally posted by suffeks
                ok thanks, i will try that when i get home. i have another question, is it possible to add to the url still a referrerid of say userid=2, so people off of search engines, if they join, the userid gets credit?
                Sneaky! Here's the new .htaccess file you need. It isn't tested but it should work, just keep in mind that you will also need to change your templates to include "referrerid" in the URL's.

Comment

ok thanks, shouldn't it be:

RewriteRule ^forumid(.*)session(.*)referrerid(.*).html forumdisplay.php?s=$2&forumid=$1&referrerid=$2 for userid 2? or is there some x+1 rule here?

k, i dont know how to change the rest of the stuff, or what for that matter...

Comment

Oh, yes, I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. What I posted will allow you to include anyone's referrerid, but you're wanting to do this for your userid only. Although there is a chance this might be incorrect, here is new htaccess file which should take care of it (and you won't have to change your templates to anything different than what filburt posted above). I could be wrong, though, so I can't guarantee anything and you might want someone else to take a look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by LanciaStratos
                      Oh, yes, I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. What I posted will allow you to include anyone's referrerid, but you're wanting to do this for your userid only. Although there is a chance this might be incorrect, here is new htaccess file which should take care of it (and you won't have to change your templates to anything different than what filburt posted above). I could be wrong, though, so I can't guarantee anything and you might want someone else to take a look at it.
                      k thanks, i will try it out tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by nuno

default:

if (
                        preg_match ("/t([0-9]+).html/", $filename, $match)) {

$userinfo[threadid] = $match[1];

$userinfo[activity] = 'showthread';

$threadids .= ",$userinfo[threadid]";

} elseif (
                        preg_match ("/f([0-9]+)/", $filename, $match)) {

$forumid = $match[1];

$forumids .= ",$forumid";

$userinfo[activity] = 'forumdisplay';

$userinfo[forumid] = $forumid;

} elseif (
                        preg_match ("/robots.txt/", $filename)) {

$userinfo[activity] = 'spider';

} else {

$userinfo[activity] = 'unknown';

}

}
                        This isn't quite right. The preg_matches here reflect fastforward's version. My version of who's online looks more like this:

PHP Code:
                        if (preg_match ("/threadid([0-9]+)session.html/"$filename$match)) {

$userinfo[threadid] = $match[1];

$userinfo[activity] = 'showthread';

$threadids .= ",$userinfo[threadid]";
                            } elseif (
                        preg_match ("/forumid([0-9]+)session.html/"$filename$match)) {

$forumid $match[1];

$forumids .= ",$forumid";

$userinfo[activity] = 'forumdisplay';

$userinfo[forumid] = $forumid;
                            } elseif (
                        preg_match ("/robots.txt/"$filename)) {

$userinfo[activity] = 'spider';
                            } else {

$userinfo[activity] = 'unknown';
                            } 
                        I have also been working with getting multiple pages indexed correctly and google seems to be hitting them right now. However, I don't have that reflected in who's online yet.

One tip. I only put these mods in my default style because that is what Google will use. My other styles maintain the old links. I am hoping this will help with server load because not as many rewrite calls will need to be made. Most of my active members use one of the paid premium styles and not the default that guests see.

Amy
                        http://www.eaforums.com

Comment

wouldn't this work too? I use this code in a shop application (osCommerce) and a link-directory-script
                          (phplinks) and it works perfect on both - lots of pages got spidered...
                          If it detects Googlebot as http-user-agent it sets the sessionid to null
                          PHP Code:
                          if (eregi("googlebot",getenv("HTTP_USER_AGENT" )) || eregi("internetseer",getenv("HTTP_USER_AGENT" )) || eregi("WebCrawler",getenv("HTTP_USER_AGENT" ))) { 
                          $session NULL;

Tom
                          Last edited by Dontom; Wed 8 Jan '03, 10:12pm.
                          Internet Bike Community
                          Mountainbike News Mountainbike Forum

www.mtb-news.de

Comment

Originally posted by Dontom
                            wouldn't this work too? I use this code in a shop application (osCommerce) and a link-directory-script
                            PHP Code:
                            if (eregi("googlebot",getenv("HTTP_USER_AGENT" )) || eregi("internetseer",getenv("HTTP_USER_AGENT" )) || eregi("WebCrawler",getenv("HTTP_USER_AGENT" ))) { 
                            $session NULL;

Tom
                            Whoa, it looks like that would work, but I'm no PHP guru.

Comment

googles spiders my threads everyday now !!! thank you so much

Comment

Originally posted by Dontom
                                PHP Code:
                                $session NULL;

Tom
                                I think this way is better, eregi() is known as a slow function:
                                http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...706#post342706
                                Floren Munteanu
                                Axivo Inc.
                                Axivo Searchlight - Turbocharge your web site

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X