Help with a tricky problem: Re server move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a tricky problem: Re server move

A long story but after a dispute with our web host we were shut out and they will not let us in again even under threat of going to court. Since that won't happen let's just say I am out.

One of the webmasers of our sites FTP's the whole forum (Vbullentin) structure. We have a copy of our forums but it's just everything FTP's back onto our hard drive in the same manner it was sitting on our web server.

My questions are:

1) Can I salvage my old forum when I move to a new web host with what I have (all of the forum as it was on my old web host)
    2) Do I have to reinstall VB on my new forum?
    3) Is it over? Do I have to take a loss and start all over again ( I had 2400 members so I don't want to start at 0 again)?
    Thanks,

Hopefully that made sense. English is my second language.

Comment

do you have a backup of the database? all of your forum data is in the database.

Comment

No we didn't make a back up.

Comment

Originally posted by kathyp
          No we didn't make a back up.
          Then everything is gone.

Comment

well I have good news: I twisted their arm a bit and they made a back up for me. It's called vbulletinbackup.sql
            Is this what I need? Can I do anything with it? It's a little over 2mb.
            am I in luck or still in trouble??

Comment

2MB is a small backup. were your forums not that big?

you can restore that backup file by uploading it to your home directory on your new server, telnetting into the server and running this command:

mysql -uUSERNAME -p DATABASENAME < vbulletinbackup.sql

replace the capitalized text with your info.

Comment

Hey Jake man that's it? I don't have to reinstall vbulletin from scratch?

And yes it was small. I just pruned it before they pulled the plug.

Comment

Hey Jake man that's it? I don't have to reinstall vbulletin from scratch?

And yes it was small. I just pruned it before they pulled the plug.
                  Nope, you don't.

As long as the last version you had was 2.2.8 you should be fine. Install vBulletin as if new using a new, clear database. Then, simply replace that new database name with the old one (once it's restored on your old server) and you're back.

Comment

Even if your dump is from an older version, it's not that hard to restore it, just requires a couple extra easy steps.
                    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

My new host does NOT have telnet. Now what?

Comment

My new host does NOT have telnet. Now what?
                        All I can honestly say is get a host that offers Telnet/SSH.

Comment

Your new host should be able to set up the db for you - just upload it to the FTP server, and tell them where the backup file is. At 2 MB it's small and easily uploaded and installed.

Comment

Thanks Erin, you recommend Rack Nine web hosting. Would you know if they have Telnet available?
                            their prices beat my new guys by about 40% and my old and new web hosts seem to be very..well...unhelpful.

How are these guys and are they VBulletin friendly? Just the thought of having to go to another mesage board systme makes me cry. I love my VB.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X