Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Database to New Host (MAJOR PROBLEM)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Database to New Host (MAJOR PROBLEM)

1. My Host Service does not allow Telnet/SSH.

2. I called/emailed/spoke to manager of Aplus.net to restore it for me. But they said they can't unless I pay $150/hour. They tell me to go download some tool to import. (Can't believe these guys won top 5 web hosts).

3. Anyways, I backed up my database from the old server.. and I'm stuck. Don't know how to restore it to my new webhost. Can someone help me?

Honestly, my best advice is to find another host. Based of their attitudes you will have nothing but trouble with that one. It's absurd for them to charge you for something that would only take then a couple of minutes to do. Good luck!
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Have you taken a look at http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html yet? You could find that helpful. If you need any further help feel free to PM me here or message me on AIM (CeleronXL), MSN ([email protected]), ICQ (118648739), or Yahoo! Messenger (celeronxl). I have no life ( ) so I should be able to help you.

I also agree with Steve. What host is this.
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT
        Have you taken a look at http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html yet? You could find that helpful. If you need any further help feel free to PM me here or message me on AIM (CeleronXL), MSN ([email protected]), ICQ (118648739), or Yahoo! Messenger (celeronxl). I have no life ( ) so I should be able to help you.

I also agree with Steve. What host is this.
        I can not use Telnet and the web host is aplus.net

Comment

Yeah, I'm just not the most observant person today. Most of my comments are invalid then. O_o
          "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
          "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
          Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

It's not uncommong for hosts to disable Telnet, and I guess this host may feel that disabling SSH is also a security precaution. I find this odd, however. Do you at least have phpMyAdmin?

Comment

Radon3K: Im in an exact situation... (My host does not allow Telnet/SSH) However, my host CPanel has phpMyAdmin... Is there anything I can do to restore the database?

Comment

phpmyadmin will work if the database is small. I believe less than 2M.

I agree with the previous post. This is something your host should do for you if they don't allow telnet/ssh. As pointed out earlier, this is a very simple and quick thing to do. Otherwise if they will not help...move on.
                AlphaOmegaHosting.Com
                http://www.alphaomegahosting.com

Comment

It can work for much larger DBs (around 20 MB or so) but it is still extremely unreliable.
                  --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                  Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                  vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

The host refuses to do it. Will this work?

http://bfs.itlab.musc.edu/mysql_impo...ql_import.html

Comment

Originally posted by Radon3k
                      It's not uncommong for hosts to disable Telnet, and I guess this host may feel that disabling SSH is also a security precaution. I find this odd, however. Do you at least have phpMyAdmin?
                      Nope. no PHPMYADMIN in my control panel.

Comment

dandanfireman or filburt1:

I guess I can restore from phpMyAdmin running the "mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD databasename < vbulletin.sql" in the script window..? If so... then where should I upload the *.sql file? Do i just upload to a folder in my host account?

Comment

Originally posted by Julio
                          I guess I can restore from phpMyAdmin running the "mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD databasename < vbulletin.sql" in the script window..?
                          No, you can't use phpMyAdmin for that. That command only works when logged into the shell via telnet or ssh.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenji4861
                            The host refuses to do it. Will this work?

http://bfs.itlab.musc.edu/mysql_impo...ql_import.html
                            No. I know you don't want to hear this but you really need to find another host. That one is going to be nothing but trouble for you. Best to cut your lossses now then to have your forums kept hostage to a host that won't allow you to make a backup and will refuse to make one for you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

OK, guys since my board is "under construction" (no posts yet) the database is extremely small (600k). I called my host, and was told to use Myphpadmin... It indeed works...

However... I may "sell" my host space to a friend, and sign up for a plan with AOH.

Thank you guys for your patience and support to newbies like me.

P.D - there's enough info on errors and troubleshooting, that you may want to create a F.A.Q with some of the Qs and As on some posts.

My .02 cents.
                              Last edited by Julio; Thu 10 Oct '02, 1:17pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X