Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you prevent someone from breaking into your forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you prevent someone from breaking into your forum?

Ive heard lots of stuff about people breaking into these forums and messing things up. How do I prevent that from happening?

password protect your admin directory. don't have more than one admin. delete thread.php from your mod directory so mods and supermods can't mass prune (or set their permissions accordingly). make sure your password is long, alphanumeric, uppercase / lowercase, etc (not easily guessed). make sure you are running the latest version of vBulletin.

you will be fairly safe if you do this.

Comment

How do I password protect my admin directory? I already have to login the admin cp using my forum user/pass. Does that mean its password protected?

Comment

Also, what does it mean when a regular members shows doing moderating duties on whos online? Does it mean they are actually in or does it mean they are attempting to moderate?

Comment

Originally posted by PlayADay
          How do I password protect my admin directory? I already have to login the admin cp using my forum user/pass. Does that mean its password protected?
          Yes and no, it's only protected via your vB admin and password. See my signature on how to password-protect it with a second username/password that is only breakable via brute force provided your host set up everything correctly.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Also, what does it mean when a regular members shows doing moderating duties on whos online? Does it mean they are actually in or does it mean they are attempting to moderate?
            They are seeing a Permission Denied screen, so nothing to worry about.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

How do I password protect my admin directory?
              The HTAccess Authentication Tutorial
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Working...
              X