Emergency Support! Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Support! Please

I am switching servers and have a question about moving my vBulletin. I downloaded all the files and then did a vbulletin.sql download and have it saved on my HD. Is this all I needed to do to make it work on the new host?

How did you create the backup? The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I went to my admin in the vB CP, went to Back-Up Database and then did the SQL Dump of data: and hit "Do Backup" and it downloaded a 14 MB vbulletin.sql file onto my comp. I know how to put it onto my new host, I'm just asking if this is all I needed to do to have my boards intact on my new server with all posts and users, basically have them stay the same?

Comment

The db restore procedure is in the link I provided. Note that your backup may not be complete so do not turn off your old server until you are absolutely sure that the restore is working.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

My current host doesn't allow telnet / SSH access.

Comment

Originally posted by GamerNext
            My current host doesn't allow telnet / SSH access.
            Doh. You may have to ask your host to do it for you then.

Not positive, but I believe that's what I read.
            Webmaster / Administrator
            www.MegaGames.com
            www.MGForums.com

Comment

If they're a decent host, yes, you should be able to FTP the dump to your site then ask them to restore it. If they don't, I'd suggest you change hosts quickly. As your forum size increases too it becomes increasingly difficult to eventually impossible to dump your database.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X