Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Forum Was Hacked...

Ok guys, need some help

An old admin logged in using another admins old password (sigh)
    and he deleted all the forums, posts, etc.
    He also removed all of my mods + admins, but since I had the total admin security hack installed (thanks again hellsatan) I was left untouched.

Anyway, I did make backups of the forums often, but I've never restored it. Will restoring the *.sql file give me my posts and stuff back to?

Thanks much.
    Webmaster / Administrator
    www.MegaGames.com
    www.MGForums.com

yes, you will get everything back as it was when you last backed up
    NXSupport Admin

Comment

Disaster. You should restrict your Admin CP options to only yourself. Always hide all the delete/ prune options from other admins.

Comment

Sounds good.

Thanks for the replies + help guys.
        www.MegaGames.com
        www.MGForums.com

Comment

ok guys, it's up and running again

Restored the backup from yesterday, and all is well

Thanks for the help.
          www.MegaGames.com
          www.MGForums.com

Comment

one reason i'm the only admin for my vB... too many possibilities of abuse or even accidental problems
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

OK guys, is there a possibility that VB 2.2.8 gets hacked? Is there a way to prevent this?

Yesterday my friend's board is running UBB.x was hacked and they even changed his domain DNS. Just trying to avoid any attempts

Comment

Originally posted by Julio
                OK guys, is there a possibility that VB 2.2.8 gets hacked? Is there a way to prevent this?

Yesterday my friend's board is running UBB.x was hacked and they even changed his domain DNS. Just trying to avoid any attempts
                As long as you have the latest version of vB installed, you're better off, since it includes several bug fixes.

There is no way to prevent anything 100% though.
                Make yourself the only admin, use passwords with many numbers/characters, etc. That type of stuff in general is good.
                www.MegaGames.com
                www.MGForums.com

Comment

If your server is compromised then there is nothing in vB that will stop a hacker from taking over.

Here's some things you can do to increase the level of security for your forums:

1. Upgrade to the latest version.
                  2. Do not install any hacks
                  3. Password protect your Admin and Mod CPs: http://faq.clever.net/htaccess.htm
                  4. Make sure the getadmin.php file is NOWHERE on your website
                  5. If you have phpMyAdmin make sure it's password protected.
                  6. Inform your host of these hack attempts and ask them to check the logs to see when your account w
                  as accessed.
                  7. Also ask your host to change the login password for your account
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol

2. Do not install any hacks

As a vB "hacker" I would disagree - as long as you know some PHP and install hacks wisely (ie. choose your hack, and choose the hack author wisely). In fact, there are a few hacks that increases the security of your forums by restricting access to your Admin account etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin

As a vB "hacker" I would disagree - as long as you know some PHP and install hacks wisely
                      Of course you'd disagree. However there is a slight, but real, chance that a hack will introduce a security issue that would not be present in the default vB. Therefore installing hacks increases the chance of a security problem.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Only hacks I'll install are written by Chen or Kevin just for this reason. I couldn't agree more Steve.

Comment

Working...
                        X