Hacker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacker?

For the past few days there have been a few guests, who all have the same IP except for the last 3 numbers, and they (or he) have been viewing private forums. I don't know how either, but I tried logging out myself so that I was a guest, and I got permission denied. Anyone know whats up with this?

It's possible that it's a bot. (i.e. for a search engine)

What's the IP address? Do you have it recorded?

Comment

216.239.46.XX

Comment

It's more than likely a search engine... seeing that it's the same IP with just the last 3 digits changed

Comment

But why is it able to view private forums?

Comment

They can't. Even though it says it, they are really viewing the "you do not have access to this page" page.

Comment

One last question, how are they able to even find my forums on a search engine if I didn't submit it?

Comment

Originally posted by GaleForce
                One last question, how are they able to even find my forums on a search engine if I didn't submit it?
                Google sometimes follows links and then indexes that one (I'm pretty sure someone is linking to you).

Comment

If you look in your profile, you have a link to your site. If a search engine spiders the vbulletin.com site it could look in your profile, find the link to your site and start spidering there.

Comment

If it wasn't a bot, it could just be somebody guessing forumids (I've done that here to spot a way around security checkpoints in vB). Either way, as Cary said, they're not viewing the forum contents, merely the show_nopermission() page.
                    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I logged out and entered a direct link to one of the private forum and I could view it. Is this a cookie not cleared or a security flaw? The VB version is 2.2.5, I also just sent the link to a friend and he is not even signed up at the forums and he could access it too. Obviously he is a trusted person and won't use it, but he has no cookies what so ever to do with the forum.
                      Last edited by olie; Mon 7 Oct '02, 2:01am.

Comment

Originally posted by olie
                        I logged out and entered a direct link to one of the private forum and I could view it. Is this a cookie not cleared or a security flaw? The VB version is 2.2.5, I also just sent the link to a friend and he is not even signed up at the forums and he could access it too. Obviously he is a trusted person and won't use it, but he has no cookies what so ever to do with the forum.
                        Go to your Admin CP, go to the "Forums & Moderators" section, and click on Permissions, and then set up so that unregistered members cannot access the private forums. Do this for all subforums as well that are private.

Comment

I looked at it and the category had not been done. So I changed it, closed all IE windows, deleted all cookies and it still happens?? If I copy this: http://www.mywebsite.com/forums/foru...hp?&forumid=XX(Whatever Private forum I want)

I can still view threads. What am I missing here? The top category for the private forums and all the private forums have all "not logged in" "registered" etc users all set to NO in the permissions and I selected the "custom settings" radio button as well and they are now highlighted red.

Was this a know issue in 2.2.5?

Comment

Did you edit custom permissions for the category or (as you should have) each individual forum? There's a bug where forum permissions aren't fully inherited to child forums.
                            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Yes each individual forum as well as the category permissions have been edited, checked and double checked!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X