No announcement yet.

Is it possible to have offsite avatars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to have offsite avatars?

Avatars consume alot of bandwidth, therefore I do not want to host them from my own server.

Is there a way to allow users to remotely host their avatars?

Other brands of bulletin boards have this feature. For example you will notice on this wwwthreads board that the two avatars are remotely hosted; right click on the avatar and note that it is hosted on a remote server.

vBulletin has an option,
    You can enter an URL of your avatar:
    Note: this will be stored locally on the server
    That is kind of what I am looking for, except I do not want it to be stored locally on the server.

Nope, I don't believe that that's possible without hacking. You might try over at vBulletin.org and see if some hack is already created for this.
    http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

I found two hacks; they both look pretty complex.

Since alot of people are requesting this type of hack there, I hope it is something that gets built into vBulletin itself.

Comment

This YaBB SE board also has remote avatars.

now if only vBulletin had this feature...

Comment

This is a great idea to implement in a new version of vBulletin
          I don't allow my users to upload custom avatars, they have to send it to me first if they want one. But if they want to link from their space, i would allow them to do so.
          I also have a problem with attachments & avatars, it always says no valid file I think that's a prob with my host...

Comment

Originally posted by stevos
            I also have a problem with attachments & avatars, it always says no valid file I think that's a prob with my host...
            Start a new thread in the Troubleshooting forum and include the URL to your phpinfo file. (You can upload a copy of this from the 'extras' folder of the zip file.)
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X