No announcement yet.

private messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am working with these two members to get as much details as I can.

I can provide you with their ip addresses, their physical locations, their usernames/passwords; all the messages that have been exchanged between me and these users on this subject; what browsers they are using.

What else can I get from them that would be helpful for you?
    Last edited by banjolawyer; Tue 17th May '05, 2:56pm.

Comment

I guess my question would have to be--these users who are able to see another person's private messages--are they being recognized by vBulletin as the other user? For example, if they post a message when this occurs, does it get posted as the user who's private messages they're seeing instead of their own?

That would make a great deal more sense and would tie in with some other reported issues.

Regards,
      Paul

Comment

I will ask them and provide their responses when I get them.

Comment

If you have their ISP information that would help. If you don't know how to resolve an IP address to get the hostname, either post the IP addresses here or PM me with the IP addresses and I'll post it for you.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is related to another thread posted on here.

Regards,
          Paul

Edit: I typed too fast.

Comment

Comment

Name: e0.filt2.shelby.tn.ena.net
              Address: 208.183.225.4

Name: e0.filt1.shelby.tn.ena.net
              Address: 208.183.225.3

These are proxy servers. ENA's web page claims that they offer both filtering and caching for educational institutions.

My educated guess is that this is related to sessions and isn't a problem per se with private messaging. Of course, that's been my recent gripe with vBulletin so I may be biased.

My guess is you'll find that they actually are logged in as the other user when this happens.

The current "fix" (in 2.2.8) to this problem is maintaining a hardcoded list of AOL's cache server IP addresses--your users are clearly not on AOL.

And if someone even suggests that this is a "corrupted cookie" problem, I'll just about freak out.

Stay tuned for vB 2.2.9 which I've been told will provide a fix for this--although I've not heard back from anyone regarding this problem in over a week. Amazing.

Regards,
              Paul

Comment

LoveShack asked the pertinent question - are they logged in as each other? If so, then my experience tells me this is a proxy issue. However I'm not a programmer and my practical knowledge of how vB maintains cookies and sessions is limited to what I know as a user and as a support tech helping hundreds of customers over the months.

Start with the login info. Are they able to login as each other and post as each other? What happens if you (from an entirely different IP) logs is as one or both of them? My guess is that you will log in as the intended user and not the other one.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

That is correct. When I log in as them, I am logged in as them, and nothing is out of the ordinary.

I have not asked them to try to post something when they experience this, but I will do so.

Comment

Originally posted by banjolawyer
                    That is correct. When I log in as them, I am logged in as them, and nothing is out of the ordinary.
                    Which leads me to belive it's a problem with their proxy. Normally browsing with cookies is suppoed to overcome this but there may be certain prozy setups that force a cached page rather than allow the user to download a fresh page.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by banjolawyer
                      Uses cookies is set to "yes"

browse board with cookies was set to "yes" but I set them to "no" a few hours ago to see if it would make a diffrence for these 2 users, and asked them to let me know.
                      So when I changed the "browse board with cookies" option for these two users to "no" do you think that would make the problem worse or better, or would you like to wait and see what they say?

Both of them access my site from work, so they won't be on till Monday.
                      Last edited by banjolawyer; Tue 17th May '05, 2:55pm.

Comment

Since they were already set to 'yes' then let's try 'no' to see what happens.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X