X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    mishkan

• mishkan
    replied
    Gee, I don't know... sounds like you did, huh? Try using SSH and then check to see if a new bash file was automatically created. You could also check with your web host tech support.

Leave a comment:

• inthezone

• inthezone
    replied
    Originally posted by mishkan
    Yes, I was talking about the site log. Now I see what you're talking about... I just downloaded and looked at my .bash_history file... very interesting.

Deleting the bash log won't cause any catastrophic problems, right?

Leave a comment:

• mishkan

• mishkan
    replied
    Yes, I was talking about the site log. Now I see what you're talking about... I just downloaded and looked at my .bash_history file... very interesting.

Leave a comment:

• dandanfireman

• dandanfireman
    replied
    I think you are referring to the site's access_log or whatever your server administrator chose to call it.

I am speaking specifically about a hidden file in a user's home directory called .bash_history provided you are using a bash shell.

Leave a comment:

• mishkan

• mishkan
    replied
    Thanks for explaining about the history file. Is this "history file" the same thing as the log file containing ever IP address that has accessed the site? You know, the log contains IP address, browser and platform info, whatever image that was downloaded and so on.

Leave a comment:

• dandanfireman

• dandanfireman
    replied
    Good point sir

However, to be more accurate, the transmission is not so much the problem, but the fact that commands are logged to a history file that could be reviewed/read. The acutal transmission is no different between the 2. Provided this is being done via ssh, it should be secure from a network standpoint.

Leave a comment:

• mishkan

• mishkan
    replied
    Originally posted by inthezone
    So all I would need to do is

mysql -uusername -ppassword -D databasename < c:/vBbackup/vbulletin.sql ??

That doesnt seem too hard.
    I have heard it's a bad idea to include your password in this command line. Instead of typing "-ppassword"... just type "-p"... without the quotes of course. After you hit ENTER, you'll be prompted to type in your password... which is supposed to be a more secure way of transmitting your password.

Leave a comment:

• Radon3k

• Radon3k
    replied
    Great! Glad to hear it!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Yes, remove the upgrade files as well.

Leave a comment:

• inthezone

• inthezone
    replied
    Originally posted by Radon3k
    You need to create a MySQL database on the new server. To make it easier on yourself, just make it the same dbname, user name, and password as the old one.

Upload the dump.sql file via FTP to any part of your server you'd like.
    OK, i got it to work Which files should I delete after installation besides install.php? Should I get rid of the upgrade.php files?

Leave a comment:

• Radon3k

• Radon3k
    replied
    You need to create a MySQL database on the new server. To make it easier on yourself, just make it the same dbname, user name, and password as the old one.

Upload the dump.sql file via FTP to any part of your server you'd like.

Leave a comment:

• inthezone

• inthezone
    replied
    Do I have to create a DB before SSHing the backup?

Leave a comment:

• Radon3k

• Radon3k
    replied
    Yeah, you'll defintely have to put the file on the server. No way the MySQL database can get to if it's not. The MySQL database is connected to the server, not your computer.

To dandanfireman: I used the syntax that I posted and it worked fine for me

Leave a comment:

• inthezone

• inthezone
    replied
    Originally posted by dandanfireman
    One of my users recently saw this and the syntax provided did not work for him. If the above does not work try this.

mysql -uusername -ppassword -D databasename < /path/to/database.sql

So all I would need to do is

mysql -uusername -ppassword -D databasename < c:/vBbackup/vbulletin.sql ??

That doesnt seem too hard.

Leave a comment:

• dandanfireman

• dandanfireman
    replied
    One of my users recently saw this and the syntax provided did not work for him. If the above does not work try this.

mysql -uusername -ppassword -D databasename < /path/to/database.sql

Leave a comment:

Working...
X