Server Hosts is blaming VB for Server issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Hosts is blaming VB for Server issues

Ok our server has went through many problems this month and it's mainly due to traffic increase throughout the web site. Well the site runs on ASP and the entire site isn't working now and our forum which has no ASP is working fine. The board is running slow but that is because the server is messed up. Now our hosts are basically blaming the errors on the VB and PHP. I am saying that it is the ASP as anything with ASP isn't working and the board is working fine except for the slow down. They're saying upgrade to the latest VB because it could solve the problem...by the way we're currently using 2.26 but right now I don't want to upgrade because I have installed many hacks (not your problem vb.org). Now is it in anyway possible that it could be the VB version we're using causing the whole site to go through this trauma?

This really isn't enough info to go on. It depends on how busy your forums are, what the server specs are, how many other sites are on that server, how PHP and MySQL are configured, etc.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Re: Server Hosts is blaming VB for Server issues

Originally posted by L-Mane
      Ok our server has went through many problems this month and it's mainly due to traffic increase throughout the web site. Well the site runs on ASP and the entire site isn't working now and our forum which has no ASP is working fine. The board is running slow but that is because the server is messed up. Now our hosts are basically blaming the errors on the VB and PHP. I am saying that it is the ASP as anything with ASP isn't working and the board is working fine except for the slow down. They're saying upgrade to the latest VB because it could solve the problem...by the way we're currently using 2.26 but right now I don't want to upgrade because I have installed many hacks (not your problem vb.org). Now is it in anyway possible that it could be the VB version we're using causing the whole site to go through this trauma?
      could most likely be a mysql server needs fine tuning ... but it's hard to say without more info..

if you can get your host to provide the following

1. your server specs, such as mysql and php version
      2. if possible how mysql was compiled/installed
      3. your top stats
      4. your mysql configuration variables located at /etc/my.cnf or c:\my.cnf if on Windows server if you don't have that file you need to log into telnet and as root user type

mysqladmin -u root -p variables

copy and paste output here

5. your mysql extended-status output either still telnet as root user type

mysqladmin -u root -p extended-status

copy and paste output here

or preferred is to installed extended-status output script which is either located

- in your vB 2.2.6 zip file's extra's folder, upload mysqlinfo.php script to your site or if you're on an pre vB 2.2.6 install go to
      - http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3477 and install that scrip making sure to edit $mysqllogin line with your own mysqlusername and password

and post url to that here

6. oh and is your vB the only thing on the server? or other scripts? sites?

7. how many average and max concurrent users on your vB forum ?

8. create a file named phpinfo.php and place this code in it and post the url/link to it from your web site

<?
      phpinfo();
      ?>

i.e. yourdomain.com/phpinfo.php

9. if you run Apache and you have your own dedicated server or access to your httpd.conf (apache configuration file) can you post the values you have set for the following :

KeepAlive
      MaxKeepAliveRequests
      KeepAliveTimeout
      MinSpareServers
      MaxSpareServers
      StartServers
      MaxClients

10. what version of vB are you running ?

11. is this a shared server, if so how many sites are on this server ?
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Working...
      X