Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it OK to use one copy (install) of vbulletin for several totally different sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it OK to use one copy (install) of vbulletin for several totally different sites?

I saw this being done on

www.photopost.com/forum
    www.techimo.com/forum

My question:
    a. Is it allowed - I remember reading something about it not being allowed?
    b. What "hack" do they use do achieve this "separation" ?

Thanks

Yes: if it's only one installation of vbulletin and 1 database.

That's the answer I got and keep seeing whenever this question arises, so you should wait for an "official" answer on this.

Comment

How do you know this is one install?

The license agreement states that this can only be on one domain:

http://www.vbulletin.com/license.html

A vBulletin license grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of vBulletin on one web server and one web site for each license purchased. Each license may power one instance of vBulletin on one domain. For each installed instance of the program, a separate license is required.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

" For each installed instance of the program, a separate license is required."

That's the part that seemed to cover it.

I've asked here before If I could do something similar and was given the okay.

IE I want to have some forums for topic a, accessible through a custom template that is reached by "xxyy.com", and another group of forums similarly distinguished by a custom template, accessible by "yyzz.com".

If you want I'll look for the thread.

Here it is.

Basically I want my main forum, a console forum, and a console game forum. My main forum is not related to gaming, and thus I dont' want gaming forums showing up. I want to attach those three sections to 3 different domains. It's all one database, one userbase, but different templates.

I was told this is okay, and I've been counting on this for a long time. I'd hate to hear that I cannot do this after I've spent a lot of time designing my site with this in mind.
        Last edited by Arkham; Thu 19 Sep '02, 9:53am.

Comment

As long as the vB files are on one server (and one domain) then this is alright.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

There are three domains being powered by one installation of vBulletin.

(On PhotoPost.com, TechIMO.com, and ResellerRatings.com)

You would need to purchase a license for each domain, even if the underlying database is the same, hence the 'one domain' clause of the license.

Comment

Originally posted by freddie
              There are three domains being powered by one installation of vBulletin.

(On PhotoPost.com, TechIMO.com, and ResellerRatings.com)

You would need to purchase a license for each domain, even if the underlying database is the same, hence the 'one domain' clause of the license.
              But it's still on "one domain", in my proposed case. I'm not going to be running seperate sites, I just want a redirect to go to a custom front door for a sub-group of forums. I thought this was legal, since it's really just one web site.

i.e. On my SiteX.com, I want my non-game forums visible in the native style/template set, and I want ConsoleX.com to go to my site's console forums' branding, and GameX.com to go to a section branded for a certain game. This isn't for a commercial site, either.

To me this is just a matter of branding and template editing.

I was told a year ago by Wayne that this was legal. (See other thread above)

Can we clarify this, or should I throw out all the books I've filled with specs and designs?

Comment

in the case of 1 vB license, domain pointers to 1 installed instance of vB is fine

i.e. if domain1.com and domain2.com point to 1 vB forum

what freddie refers to is 3 different domains/sites installing the only 1 or 2 paid for vB licenses

for what PhotoPost.com, TechIMO.com, and ResellerRatings.com are doing you need 3 vB licenses since they're essentially 3 forums (installed stances)
                :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
                  for what PhotoPost.com, TechIMO.com, and ResellerRatings.com are doing you need 3 vB licenses since they're essentially 3 forums (installed stances)
                  If they were one company, instead of 3 different installations and licenses, couldn't they group their forums by product? i.e. CompanyA.com could use "Product1.com", "Product2.com" and "Product3.com" to go to each product's customised section of subforums? That's one domain, one installation, one database, one group of users. ("Forums" does not equal "website".)

That's sort of what I want to do with mine, to enhance the feeling of being in a different section. I'd like my Armored Core ("X.com") forums to have their style, the other PS2 forums ("Y.com") to have a PS2 theme, and my main non-gaming forums ("Z.com") to have its own style and forums. All one domain, but users could directly access the sub-forums by using their theme's dot-com.

Comment

You will need to have James clarify all of this.

If you power multiple forums from different domains (even if they are on the same server) that appear to be totally separate other than the memberlist, than I would say that is breaking the spirit of the license and you should be buying those licenses instead of trying to bend everything you can to not have to pay any more money.

Comment

Originally posted by freddie
                      You will need to have James clarify all of this.

If you power multiple forums from different domains (even if they are on the same server) that appear to be totally separate other than the memberlist, than I would say that is breaking the spirit of the license and you should be buying those licenses instead of trying to bend everything you can to not have to pay any more money.
                      That's making it sound like something it's not, though. Just because I want to differentiate portions of my site to reflect a theme doesn't mean I'm trying to get away with something. Adding a redirect doesn't mean a group of forums suddenly becomes a "website".

Define "running a forum on a domain", or however you worded it. Does it mean having different cookies for different domains? If all of this is running on one site, I should be able to redirect any of my domains to their related topic forum if I want to -- it's all one site owned and operated for fun by me. (At least it was going to be fun...)

This is what I had to go on, quoting Wayne from the referenced thread:

However what you describe is no different than the many people who co-brand their forums with other sites and provide a service either for free or for a fee. The ethics get involved in the fine points of how that co-branding is delivered.

The finer points of these issues have to be dealt with on a case by case basis. However we don't want to restrict legal license holders from being able to profit either emotionally or financially from their investment and work as long as it doesn't involve reselling vBulletin or contributing to the further proliferation of vBUlletin on warez sites...
                      Begezus... There are no bad intentions here, I just want a create a site that covers different topics. There has to be a limit to which Jelsoft can dictate what we do. I won't be running more than one website, so how many redirects and where they go on that one site and how I display forums should be up to me.

Gak.

All I wanted to do was be able to tell Fan A to go to X.com for my X forums, Friend B to go to Y.com for my Y forums, and C to Z.com for Z to simplify navigation and categorization.

It's a matter of organization, not re-distribution or rule-skirting. That should be my business.

Comment

Although our three sites (PhotoPost.com, TechIMO.com, and ResellerRatings.com) are powered by the same database, our vBulletin database has a unique settings table for each of our sites. We also hold a license for each site. A few changes had to be made to each installation to use the correct settings table and related templates. The main point was to prevent users from having to register twice to go from site to site.
                        Last edited by ScottW; Mon 23 Sep '02, 3:01am.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW
                          Although our three sites (PhotoPost.com, TechIMO.com, and ResellerRatings.com) are powered by the same database, our vBulletin database has a unique settings table for each of our sites. We also hold a license for each site. A few changes had to be made to each installation to use the correct settings table and related templates. The main point was to prevent users from having to register twice to go from site to site.
                          Yeah, I can see why you'd need three licenses in that case.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X