Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paulsjv
    replied
    ah.. thanks for your help.. when i get this issue resolved i'll report back so that everyone knows how to fix this problem.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Your server is adding [email protected] to the Return-path and his server is rejecting the email because this is a an invalid address. This is a server issue and I believe the mail server settings need to be adjusted. Contact your host about this.

Leave a comment:

• paulsjv
    replied
    I went through the mail.log file and grep'ed everything that has bounced.. then i grep'ed that file to find one of the user's that is having a problem with vb. Here's the error message below (i've obviously changed some of the information with emails and servers etc). I did send this user an email via outlook to see if his email would bounce but it didn't.. and he got the email so i'm a little confused.

thanks!

Nov 26 10:40:55 server-web postfix/smtp[28816]: D310BCFA59: to=<[email protected]>, relay=vmb-ext.prodigy.net[207.115.63.87], delay=1, status=bounced (host vmb-ext.prodigy.net[207.115.63.87] said: 553 5.1.8 <[email protected]>... Domain of sender address [email protected] does not exist)

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    See my previous post for some possible reasons this happens and how to troubleshoot it.

Leave a comment:

• paulsjv
    replied
    Originally posted by DannyITR
    I get lots of e-mail from new users who tell me they can't post. I ask them if the got the validation e-mail and they say no. I've always assumed that these people are just dumb but I think there may actually be a problem with the board.
    I have the same exact problems.. except that people are putting in the correct email address.. it's just really strange and i have no idea why it's not working...

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    On the first problem, you will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server.

For what it's worth I get a lot of bounced emails from people who's mail boxes are full or over quota. This is a particular problem with hotmail and yahoo accounts. Unless you are on a dedicated server and can set where these bounce messages go, you will never see them. The mail logs will have a record of these though.

If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

On the second problem all I can suggest is that you recheck user grouop and forum permissions. I've never seen a confirmed case where someone was able to post when they didn't have permission to do so. Note also that it's possible these users were registered at one time and submitted a change of email. This would have put them back into the 'Users Awaiting' group.

Leave a comment:

• DannyITR
    started a topic Validation link not being sent?

Validation link not being sent?

I get lots of e-mail from new users who tell me they can't post. I ask them if the got the validation e-mail and they say no. I've always assumed that these people are just dumb but I think there may actually be a problem with the board.

The seocnd problem I have is users posting while waiting e-mail confirmation. I specifically have this user group's permissions set so that they are not allowed to post. For some reason a few users are able to post on the forum. Any ideas how this could happen?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X