Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Reply

Hey All,

Not sure quite what's going on, but it seems that some threads people can reply to and alot they can't. I'm not sure what the hell is going on, I'm being affected by this as well. Does anyone have any ideas? Like I said, certain posts, I can reply to fine, but others, it just sits there. No error message ever comes up, nothing. I upgraded to 2.2.7 a week or two ago and everything seemed to be working fine till now....

Thanks In Advance,

Scott

BTW, the website is www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards

Are the problem threads very large by any chance? It's possible that these threads have a lot of subscribers and the server is having a difficult time processing all the email notifications.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

While the first thread that I encountered this problem with was indeed large, I and others have now been having problems with threads with just the original post in it. Like I said, it's completely random. One thread will work fine and most of the others don't work at all. This is only in replying though. If you try to start a new thread, everything works fine.

Scott

Comment

I still suspect this is an email issue with the server - particularly since it only happens with replies and not new threads. Have you contacted our host about this?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Let me give you some other information that may have some bearing on the problem as well. My webhost is Powweb. They just switched backbone providers. My site was just down for about 24 hrs. While I experienced the problem before the downtime, it has gotten considerably worse since my site has come back up. I'm not sure what the hell is going on at this point

Scott

Comment

All this points to is that it's a server or web host issue and probably still related to the email server. Have you contacted them yet? I don't think there's much we can do about this here.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Hey Steve,

Would you be able to tell me what makes you think that it's one of the issues that you mentioned? It's not that I doubt you, I just want to be able to shove stuff in their faces when they say that it's a vBulletin issue and not their problem. One other thing, as far as I know, the server that my page is on is also the mysql server and has my forum database on it.

Thanks for your help so far,

Scott

Comment

As I said:

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                I still suspect this is an email issue with the server - particularly since it only happens with replies and not new threads.
                That's your biggest clue to what's happening. The other clue is that it's random. If this were a problem with vB or the code, it would be reproducible. Server loads and problems are transient however.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I have also occasionally received an email to the dbmaster with error messages. The first one is as follows:

"mysql error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

mysql error number: 2013

Date: Monday 16th of September 2002 08:29:29 PM
                  Script: http://arachnopets.com/arachnoboards...s/newreply.php
                  Referer: http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnobo...y&threadid=793
                  "

The second one that I've gotten is:

"Invalid SQL: UPDATE thread SET attach = attach + 1 WHERE threadid = '715'
                  mysql error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

mysql error number: 2013

Date: Monday 16th of September 2002 08:56:50 PM
                  Script: http://arachnopets.com/arachnoboards...s/newreply.php
                  Referer: http://arachnopets.com/arachnoboards...y&threadid=715

"

Now the one thing that I've noticed about these error messages is that the script url is incorrect. There are two instances of the "arachnoboards" folder in there when there should only be one. Do you have any idea what may be causing this? I've only received this for a couple of attempted posts, not all of them.

I and others are still having problems replying to posts. This is also to posts with only the original post in there. The weird thing is that on some other posts with multiple posts, you can reply without a problem. I just find the whole thing strange. I would think that if it was an email server problem, then it would happen no matter what if anyone is subscribed to the thread, but it seems that it isn't.... I just don't know anymore.

Thank you for your help trying to alleviate this issue for me,

Scott

Comment

The double arachnoboards is just an artifact of the problem and not a problem itself. You can ignore that. The real issue is the 'lost connections'. Read this post for an explanation on the possible reasons for this error:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...265#post310265

Clearly there is something wrong with this server. And as I asked before, have you contacted your host about these problems yet?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Yes, I have contacted them. I apologize for not mentioning it. The only reply that I have received is that they are working on it. In the meantime, while I was trying to access my forum at one point, nothing at all came up. Since then, it has come back up and seems to be working once again. I have been able to reply with no problems to some of the problem posts from earlier. Thank you for the help that you gave me in letting me know what to tell them to look into. It apparently did some good. I will check that thread out as well to see if I can find anything in it.

Thanks again,

Scott

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X