Moving servers - need install help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving servers - need install help

I'm moving servers and need to transfer my VB forum to the new one. After reading the notes on the web site here about moving servers, I have successfully imported the new forum database to mysql. However, I have a few questions on how to proceed from there.

Since this is a new server, I'm installing the software from scratch. I have changed the config.php.new file to reflect the changes. However, don't I need to run "install.php" again since this is a new install? This is the step I'm stuck on:

Go into your admin/index.php and then click on "options" and change the URL (if necessary) and verify the options and click "submit"
    When i go to www.mysite.com/forum/admin/index.php I get a file not found error. Even though I know it is there according to the file size via ftp and telnet. As it stands now, here is what I have:

1. a clean upload of VB 2.2.7
    2. My old database (with same name) sucessfully on new server at restored acording to the instructions on this site. The database was tested using MySQL "show tables;" command and verified.

Now, I'm stuck on what to do next, it was a bit fuzzy on this. Please give good instructions on how to proceed.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

You've done everything right (and correct, don't run install.php).

Are you able to view your forums by going to http://www.mysite.com/forums/ ?
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

yup no need to run install.php

have you tried reuploading just index.php in root directory ?
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Ok, at least I haven't goofed up by running any install scripts.

here is the ip, please check it:

http://www.216.234.186.33.com/forum/admin/index.php

I'm using just the ip number until I get things up and running so that my current site is not down. Even if there was a problem accessing the mysql database with the databasename and password, shouldn't I at least be able to pull up the above screen? I was thinking maybe the config.php.new file had some settings wrong there and the database couldn't be accessed.

Oh, the old vb from the other sever was 2.2.6 and the new sever has the 2.2.7 on it. That shouldn't effect my database that I transfered over and verified as working should it? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comment

Re the version difference, it shouldn't be causing this error but once you get everything back up, run upgrade20.php.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Ok, fixed the error, but now when I try to call the admin/index.php file it's blank, no errors, and says "done" in the low left corner of I.E. with no errors reported.

Any thoughts there? You can see it at this link:

http://216.234.186.33/forum/admin/index.php

Note: The admin/install.php script runs just fine and displays ok. But I was told not to run it. Are you sure there? It seems like the only way since this is a clean install on a new server. Shouldn't the database be the same as the old one once it's installed because I verified this (see above posts). I just don't see how I can call the admin/index.php file without doing the install because this is a new setup, only thing different is it will have information in it from my old forum instead of being blank, correct?

Thanks for any help.
            Last edited by MovieJeff; Sun 15 Sep '02, 7:55pm.

Comment

update

OK, I can now call the page ok with admin/index.php but I get this error: "There seems to have been a slight problem with the database."

My database name appears and no errors reported for connection. Just wondering what the problem could be now?

Here is how I did the dump of the database:

mysqldump --opt -u USERNAME -p databasename > /path/to/dump.sql

Then when I did the steps outlined in the moving guide here for reversing it:

mysql -uUSERNAME -p newdbname < /path/to/dump.sql

I have verified again that I have a valid database in mysql. It's even the same name as the old one. When I do a "show tables" of the database it reflects all the VB info. in it.

Thanks for help.

Comment

Right-click on the page with the error and choose 'View Source'. Post the complete error message here.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

It's working!

Well, I finally figured out what the problem was, it's working now!

What happened is I did a new install on the new server that was a different version of VB than on the old one. The solution was to run the update file FIRST then try to access the admin/index.php file, not the other way around.

Maybe someone should update this in the moving severs section explaining that the instructions assume you are using the same version on the new sever as the old sever you are moving from. Otherwise run the update script first for the version upgrading from THEN try the admin/index.php.

Very simple once I understood the problem.

Comment

Re: It's working!

Originally posted by MovieJeff
                    Well, I finally figured out what the problem was, it's working now!

What happened is I did a new install on the new server that was a different version of VB than on the old one. The solution was to run the update file FIRST then try to access the admin/index.php file, not the other way around.

Maybe someone should update this in the moving severs section explaining that the instructions assume you are using the same version on the new sever as the old sever you are moving from. Otherwise run the update script first for the version upgrading from THEN try the admin/index.php.

Very simple once I understood the problem.
                    that's normal.. if you're upgrading an old database and have newer vB php files and you access them, expect and error or 2 most likely you got the unknown althash column error
                    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X