Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temp move of my forum

hey all--
    My WEB provider is having problems with the server I am on, and php is down for at least the next couple of days.

My database is up and un-moved..

I have a friend that will allow me to setup my forum on his site, temporarily, until my ISP can get this resolved.

What is the best way to do this.. ???
    a DNS change is not possible right now either...

Thanks!
    Eric C

EDIT::
    BTW:: I NEED HELP FAST!
    Last edited by svoec; Sat 14 Sep '02, 3:49pm.
    -

You could move your database and forums over to the new server and leave an htaccess redirect in your old forum directory to the new temporaty site.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

why move the database ?

I can do the other stuff, without a problem...

one thing I was a bit worried about (but not a show stopper) is it will kill everyones cookies ????

My users are not of the highest computer tech ability... so i get a lot of password requests and simple stuff like that..
      -

Comment

oh yea.. my friend's account don't have a DB setup.. so that would take time.. and I dont have it.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by svoec
          why move the database ?

I can do the other stuff, without a problem...

one thing I was a bit worried about (but not a show stopper) is it will kill everyones cookies ????

My users are not of the highest computer tech ability... so i get a lot of password requests and simple stuff like that..
          1. Most servers do not allow remote connections to the database. However you can always try and see if it works.
          2. I'm not sure what afect this will have on cookies. I had to do this myself once and there were no reported problems for the day-and-a-half I moved the forums.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

crap.. now I see why i need to move the databse

Warning: Host '*****.*****.***' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server in /home/driversf/public_html/svoca/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40
            -

Comment

we.. I am completly screwed now...

I can't use myphpadmin to connect to the database to do a dump,
              I cant use the forum to do a backup,

So even if I could get a DB setup on the new server today, I still can't get my data...

UGH!!!!!!!
              -

Comment

anyone got any ideas on how to get to my data, so I can possibly move it ?
                -

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

that answered 95 % of my questions..
                    my last one is just a command option for the mysqldump command

my www server, and DB server are not on the same server..

so when i try the mysqldump it tells me the db does not exist..

where can i specify the name (or ip) of the server to connect to ?
                    -

Comment

You don't need to specify the server. However you do need to run mysqldump on the server with the database.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I don't have telnet access to the server with the database...

however.. a man of mysqldump gave me a -h parameter that will let you switch hosts you are connecting to.
                        -

Comment

That only works if the server allows remote connections which, as you've already seen, it doesn't.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

yea.. but my www server should have access to connect....

if it didn't, the forum wouldn't work...

I dont have a dump yet tho.. still working on it

Thanks MUCH for all the help.. you guys have GREAT support!
                            -

Comment

The web server is different from the MySQL server. The problem is that the MySQL server does not allow remote connections.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X