set up fresh test forum using same DB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• set up fresh test forum using same DB

I am going to upgrade from 2.2.6 to 2.2.7 however I do not want to just upgrade over the 2.2.6.
    I want to start with a fresh forum and rehack it though using the same DB. I understand I can make a private test forum and not be in viloation, I am worried though that I may do damage to the table structure.

Is it possible to set up this new private test board on the same DB, then transfer the 2.27 version without messing up the DB or the flow of the primary board?

Dave

I've seen this done once, and it really messes things up working off the same database, I dunno if it's even possible anymore(correct me if I'm wrong). Best way to do that is to take a backup of your current DB, install the test forms to a New DB, then use the restore on the test forums DB.
    -Draco
    The Digital Sector Forums

Comment

all the data is in the database so any changes made on the test board will affect the main board.

Making a second database is the only solution.
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by PPN
        all the data is in the database so any changes made on the test board will affect the main board.

Making a second database is the only solution.
        thanks for the confirmation PPN, I was pretty sure, but always good for 100% hehe, and it's wierd to see you with the new avatar Didn't recognize ya

Also, Dave if you need help with backing up/restoring the database check the vBulletin manual, it gives a good idea on how to do it.
        -Draco

Comment

I had kind of figured this was the case so while I was waiting for a response(which was not long at all ) I inquired with my host about a new DB.

whew, 20 minute replies from Vbul and Tera-Byte what is this world coming to

Lorddraco98 thanks, I have not backed up my DB as often as I should so I usually have to relearn the SSH, if I need help I will post a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave B
            I had kind of figured this was the case so while I was waiting for a response(which was not long at all ) I inquired with my host about a new DB.

Lorddraco98 thanks, I have not backed up my DB as often as I should so I usually have to relearn the SSH, if I need help I will post a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Dave
            Okey sounds good, glad I could help. Good Luck!
            -Draco

Comment

my avatar is a Cabbit Thought i may change it back to Priss because everyone recognises it.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave
                to read about backing up using SSH/mysqldump and how to restore a backup read http://www.webmasterbase.com/article/678
                :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Dave B, I know exactly what you want to do and It can be done like this: [not 100% sure, just what I reckon can be done]

Create a new DB, create your test forum using the new DB. Now hack it all, and make a .txt file on your harddrive with all the queries needing to be run within all the hacks [for future reference].

Once all hacking, template modding and everything has been done, download all of the style sets for the test board. Back these up.

Now close your main board, via telnet/SSH make a mysqldump of the main DB. Then again via SSH put it onto the test board overwriting the old database. Now you will have to go back to all the hacks you installed for your main board a while ago, and look at all the queries. you should really remove any tables and so on that were created.

Having done that you can refer back to the .txt file of all the queries needing to be done, run these queries. Now re-upload the style sets from the new board you downloaded, then delete the style sets that you imported over.

Now this is my logical way of going about it, thanks to some tips I think either steve or eva gave to me a few weeks ago. This i'm not entirely sure about but to me it seems logical and possible?

Maybe someone with more knowledge can look at this post and say what they think...

Comment

way i would test on a copy of the database

just mysqldump/backup the live database

then create new empty database name and reimport backup into it and work on this copy database
                    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X