Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is "the Cookie Domain" necessary? What problems are introduced by leaving it blank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigmattyh
    replied
    I run my board on forum.mydomain.com, and the rest of my site has to access those cookies. Thus, I have to use .mydomain.com in that field, or else there are logging in/logging out problems.

Leave a comment:

• Erwin
    replied
    I've found that if you don't put a "/" in the path, then you or your users cannot log out.

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    Re: Is "the Cookie Domain" necessary? What problems are introduced by leaving it blank?

Originally posted by boatdesign
    In the control panel it says the following:
    Cookie Domain
    The domain on which you want the cookie to have effect. If you want this to affect all of yourhost.com rather than just forums.yourhost.com, enter .yourhost.com here (note the 2 dots!!!). Can be left blank.

My question is what exactly does the Cookie Domain do? What problems will be created by leaving it blank (who and what browsers are affected, and under what circumstances?)

I have always had both the the .net and .org extensions of my domain pointed to the same web space, and for a year now I have left the cookie domain blank because it's possible some users will enter through a search engine or by typing directly mydomain.org/forums while 99.x% will enter mydomain.net/forums through direct links. Up until now I have not had any problems with leaving the cookie domain blank, but in the last two days (having made no changes) I have been contacted by a few new users who have emailed me saying that they cannot stay logged in. I can't find anything obvious, so I'm now trying to look for any possible problem that may have changed based on browser changes or other things interacting which have updated on my visitors' end (since I have made no forum or server changes in the past week.)
    i also have *com and *net domain pointed to my vB and you should leave your cookie domain blank and path as /

you may also want to add a baseurl in between your <head></head> for the domain you want to be default either *.com or *.net one

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    I have always left my Cookie Domain blank and have never had a problem. But i also only use one domain. I would suggest you do not change this since it will cause loads of cookie problems for your other users. Most likly the problems with these specific users is related to their ISP or browser. If they are using AOL then I suggest you upgrade to vB 2.2.7 if you haven't already. Otherwise ask them to manually delete their cookies to see if that helps.

Leave a comment:

• Is "the Cookie Domain" necessary? What problems are introduced by leaving it blank?

In the control panel it says the following:
    Cookie Domain
    The domain on which you want the cookie to have effect. If you want this to affect all of yourhost.com rather than just forums.yourhost.com, enter .yourhost.com here (note the 2 dots!!!). Can be left blank.

My question is what exactly does the Cookie Domain do? What problems will be created by leaving it blank (who and what browsers are affected, and under what circumstances?)

I have always had both the the .net and .org extensions of my domain pointed to the same web space, and for a year now I have left the cookie domain blank because it's possible some users will enter through a search engine or by typing directly mydomain.org/forums while 99.x% will enter mydomain.net/forums through direct links. Up until now I have not had any problems with leaving the cookie domain blank, but in the last two days (having made no changes) I have been contacted by a few new users who have emailed me saying that they cannot stay logged in. I can't find anything obvious, so I'm now trying to look for any possible problem that may have changed based on browser changes or other things interacting which have updated on my visitors' end (since I have made no forum or server changes in the past week.)
    Last edited by boatdesign; Fri 13 Sep '02, 6:47pm.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X