Upgrade Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Questions

I am a total beginner. I do not know PHP, Linux, or mySQL. My web host DOES NOT allow Telnet access. FTP works fine, though.

I would like to attempt the 2.1.7 upgrade, but it's a bit daunting. Here are a few questions.

my vBulletin is installed in: /htdocs/forum

I downloaded the upgrade ZIP file. UnZIP'd it to desktop. Looking inside, I see stuff in the root, and some folders.

[1] Using LEECHFTP. Let's say that /htdocs/forum is the ROOT

In the 2.1.7 zip file, the stuff in:

/admin --> /htdocs/forum/admin

/images --> /htdocs/forum/images

etc.

QUESTION #1: Do I have to do this upload for each folder seperately, or does the FTP program automatically sort out all the subfolders?

QUESTION #2: I need to upload everything in /admin EXCEPT install.php -- correct? Install.php is only used for NEW installs, not upgrades?

QUESTION #3: My web provider does not allow TELNET. Is this going to create issues for me? I do not plan on hacking or doing much else out of the ordinary, just upgrades.

QUESTION #4: When the uploading is done, I just go to IE5 and run the following?

http://your.site/forum/admin/upgrade20.php

And that's that???

1. It depends on you FTP program. To be safe just upload each directory individually. Whatever you do make sure you upload all non-image file in ASCII and overwrite the ones on the server.

2. Yes. You can also eliminate the 'images' directory if you want.

3. Yes, this may very well be an issue for you. Check and see if they have SSH available. If so, then this will work just as well. If not, then you may to have a difficult time backing up and restore your database.

4. Yes, and run through each of the steps. Afterwards delete the upgradexx.php scripts from the admin directory.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X