Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I make a thread stay at the top for a specific period of time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make a thread stay at the top for a specific period of time?

If someone wants to advertise on my board and makes a message, how can I leave that post up at the top for a day? for a week? I also want other posters to be able to reply to it, as long as it stays at the top.

thanks!

That requires hacking. You can make a request at vbulletin.org.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi,

Another way to do it is to make it "sticky" until you no longer want it at the top, then "unstick" it. This only takes a couple of mouse clicks each time.

Of course, you do have to remember to do it.

Regards,

Steve Price
      Steve Price

Comment

Hmmm I never did a sticky...can people reply to a sticky?

Comment

Originally posted by maniello
          Hmmm I never did a sticky...can people reply to a sticky?
          Yes, it's just the same as a normal thread except it is always at the top (well, until you un-stick it) and that it gets the word "Sticky:" in front of the thread's name on the list (however, you can change the word "sticky" to whatever you like)

obviously, if you didn't want them to reply to the thread you could lock the thread...

Comment

Or maybe you could make the thread, an "announcement" thread? I think you can make "announcement" threads stay at the top for as long as you like, without having to unstick it later. Only problem is... I'm not sure what happens to the "announcement" thread after that time is up.

Comment

That is what sticky is for!

Comment

But, maniello did ask about having it stay at the top for a specified amount of time... a day or a week, for example. I thought announcements can do that automatically... while you'd have to manually unstick a sticky.

Comment

Ah... No problem.. Just write a sticky cron...!

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper
                    Ah... No problem.. Just write a sticky cron...!
                    Hooper, could you please tell us how to do that? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mishkan
                      But, maniello did ask about having it stay at the top for a specified amount of time... a day or a week, for example. I thought announcements can do that automatically... while you'd have to manually unstick a sticky.
                      yup announcements allow time specifying start and end dates
                      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Eva could probably get a sticky cron to work better than I could. Lol...

Comment

heh..

mimalistic approach would be to rework the announcement template to look like an ad space and just use announcement feature in vB admin
                          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

That sounds rational. Probably work well being like you said it tracks time etc...

Comment

Working...
                            X