Calendar Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calendar Access

How can you block access to the calendar altogether but still allow access to the board. By that I mean, only people that are registered/authenticated have access. I do see where you allow public posting, but thats it. Is there somewhere else that I can restrict this?

Thanks,
    -Lyle

Oh, that's an easy one... I can answer.

admin cp > vBulletin options > enable calendar

Set "enable calendar" to NO.

Comment

Umm.. That would turn it off completely. I only want just the groups I specify to be able to see it, not just anyone(guests) that visits the site.
      -Lyle

Comment

You currently can't do that without hacking. vB 3.0 will allow multiple calendars with the ability to set user group permissions for access.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by ldove
          Umm.. That would turn it off completely. I only want just the groups I specify to be able to see it, not just anyone(guests) that visits the site.
          Oh... ... sorry, I misunderstood. Okay, you could get a hack, as Steve suggests... or maybe there's a work around that would satisfy your situation. For example, how about this...

1.0 Set up your styles.

1.1 Copy your "default" template set. Let's say we call this new template set, "calendar".

1.2 Create a new style... let's say it's called "calendar style"... and use the "default" colors and the "calendar" templates.

1.3 Now, edit the old "default" template set, so that you physically remove all buttons and links that lead to the calendar.

2.0 Set up a calendar forum.

2.1 Create a new forum... let's say you call it "Calendar Forum".

2.2 Set all usergroup permissions to NO for the "Calendar Forum, for everyone except the group you want to allow access to the calendar function.

2.3 Set the forum style to be "calendar style" for the "Calendar Forum".

Then, anyone in the calendar usergroup can access the calendar, by simply entering the "calendar forum".

Comment

People tend to forget the wonder of the phpinclude template. Pseudocode:

Code:
            if (current page is calendar.php)
            {
                if (usergroupid of logged in user is ...)
                {
                    shownopermission
                }
            }
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Hmm.. ok.. appears to make sense, but how do I integrate this. I am not a programmer unfortunately, but if you got a network question, I'm all over it.
              -Lyle

Comment

That's where the mystery sets in

A start (with a security whole but who cares ):
                Code:
                if (strpos($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], 'calendar.php') !== false)
                {
                    if ($bbuserinfo[usergroupid] != 6) // not administrators
                    {
                        show_nopermission(); // works in phpinclude?
                        exit; // should go here? Where's Chen when ya need him? :D
                    }
                }
                Haven't tested it but it's pretty much a port of my pseudocode
                --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                  People tend to forget the wonder of the phpinclude template. Pseudocode:

Code:
                  if (current page is calendar.php)
                  {
                      if (usergroupid of logged in user is ...)
                      {
                          shownopermission
                      }
                  }

Actually, this is exactly what I am looking for. How should I add this into the TEMPLATE of vb? In PHP, this is a cinch. But in VB templates, how should I test for the "current page"?

Thanks for any ideas!

Comment

It can be done with a simple 2 line hack of the calendar.php

Details over @ vb.org here
                    Techzonez - Tech News
                    Techzonez Forums - Tech Community

Comment

Thanks Reverend!

1. Any way I can set the default view of the calendar to MONTHLY view?

2. Also, can a user have a calendar of THEIR own, which is not visible by ANYONE else?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X