X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backing up database using CP backup page

hi

how do you guys backup your database?

I recently backup by using the backup functions from CP.
    SQL Dump of data

when i tried to restore it, i cannot do it. The file seems corrupted.

is this the best way to backup the forums?

thanks

The backup feature in the Admin CP doesn't always make complete backups, especially with larger databases. This is because the backup feature is a php script and is subject to PHP's max execution time. The default max execution time is 30 seconds, this can be changed by editing the php.ini file on your server (requires root access). If the script times out during the backup then your backup will be incomplete.

The recommended way to backup is through the shell (telnet / SSH). Turn off your forums, connect to your server and run this command:

mysqldump --opt -uUSERNAME -p databasename > backup.sql

Replace the bold text with your information. When you hit enter it will ask for your password. Enter your password and hit enter again. *wait* When the backup is done the prompt will reappear. The backup file will be in your home directory.

Comment

thanks...

going to save this thread.

forum is my life....backing it up means alot to me

another question

if i have weekly tape drive backup services setup by my data center, does that mean that i can always revert to last week database?

I am not a tech person. A tape drive backup is an exact replicate of the hdd right?

thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by jacky23
        another question

if i have weekly tape drive backup services setup by my data center, does that mean that i can always revert to last week database?

I am not a tech person. A tape drive backup is an exact replicate of the hdd right?

thanks in advance
        there are different kinds of backup methods for tape. you should ask your host this question... or whoever does your tape backups.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X