Runtime Error when posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runtime Error when posting

OK, I have gotten as far as installing the scripts onto my host and a little bit of playing with the settings. I have discovered that when I attempt to make a test post I get an error.

"A Runtime Error has occured
    Do you wih to Debug?
    Line: 1
    Error:Syntax error"

with a yes or no prompt.

After selecting yes or no, it will sometimes come up a second time. Once I am to the posting screen, I can double click the status bar icon and get the error identifed as

"Line: 2
    Char: 1
    Error: Syntax error
    Code: 0
    URL:http://www.cruisenights.info/cgi-bin...newthread.php?
    etc....

I am able to type in and post a message but none of the vB code buttons or Smiles do anything when I click on them. I can enter the code manually and it will display correctly. It does this with both NewThread and New Reply. I have replaced the files on the server with local copies with no change.

I need a little help here as this is my first expierence with PHP & mySQL.

The URL is http://www.cruisenights.info/cgi-bin...s/index.php?s= if you would like to see for yourself.

Thanks,

Walt

OK, Now I'm really Confused!

I extracted copies of the newthread.php and newreply.php from the download .zip file and uploaded them to the server. The symptom has changed. Now in addition to the earlier post, now when on the post message page, when I move the mouse over any of the vB Code buttons, I get "object expected"
    errors with different line numbers depending on which button I mouse over.

It looks like a Java Scripting problem but I don't see why.

????

Walt

Comment

This is actually a bit of a bug/design issue that's much easier to resolve in vB3. Basically, the problem only happens when vB is installed in a *true* cgi-bin. You can see what I mean by going here: http://www.cruisenights.info/cgi-bin/forums/vbcode.js . Instead of getting a JS file, you'll get an error about it not being executable. Even if it were executable, it would probably just return a 500 ISE.

Fortunately, it's not too hard to workaround. Basically, what you need to do is open up the "vbcode_buttons" template. There you'll see a reference to vbcode.js and vbcode_language.js. You need to take those two files and place them outside your cgi-bin (like your images). Then, simply change the path to point to their new location and submit.

Comment

Thanks!

You hit it right on the mark.

As a new customer, I am very impressed with the application and the help with my questions. I am new to working with PHP and mySQL, and I was a little concerned there would be a huge learning curve in setting up the board. So far with exception to a few minor glitches that seemed to be caused mostly by the way my web host has my account configured, it’s been pretty painless. While I myself would never be able to write such an application, I have been able to look at the files and can follow the logic of the scripting. I can see you guys put a lot of time and effort into this and are really producing a quality product. I just want to thank all of you for your hard work.

Walt

Comment

Thanks for the compliments!

Comment