No announcement yet.

Can a User be in Multiple User Groups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a User be in Multiple User Groups?

Hello,

my client wants to have several forums for different types of members (ie, conference coordinators, group leaders, registered, unregistered, ...).

So I have created a usergroup for each of these if there wasn't already a group for it (like registered). However, some of the users will be both a conference coordinator and a group leader - so they should be able to see and post to the forum for conference coordinators as well as the forum for group leaders.

How do I do this? Not all conference coordinators will be group leaders.

Can I assign a user to more than one user group, and if so, how is that done?

Would it be too much of a hassle to use the individual forum masks? You can set one group of conference coordinators, and then edit their forum permissions to include the group leader forum.

Or am I missing the point?

From what I understand, a user can't be in two groups, although I think I've heard that will be an option in vB3.

Comment

Well, I think that that would allow all conference coordinators to see the group leader forum - even if they are not group leaders - right?

What you suggest would basically setup an heirarchical type structure - right? So that for instance, conference coordinators could see all forums, group leaders could see the group leaders forum and the general forum, and those who are just registered users could see only the general forum?

It seems like, if a hack were made, it would simply be to allow the field in the Users table that identifies which group they belong to to allow more than 1 entry, and then those pages that access this table to determine permissions would search to see if any of those values in a user's group id field match those that are allowed access to the page. Of course - I only installed this on my site, so I don't know all the ins and outs of the program!

Comment

Re: Can a User be in Multiple User Groups?

Originally posted by unioman
        Can I assign a user to more than one user group, and if so, how is that done?
        in vBulletin 3.0 you can do this. version 3 is currently in development.

Comment

Originally posted by unioman
          Well, I think that that would allow all conference coordinators to see the group leader forum - even if they are not group leaders - right?

I guess I'm not catching how many forums are assigned to each group.
          From what I understand, it would seem the problem can be solved by just setting individual forum masks in the admin cp...for example, on my site, I have a staff category with two forums...some staff can see only one, some can see both. Understandably, it'd be hell to set up if you had a lot of users, but I don't know how else to go about it...granted I understand the problem correctly, which I am unsure of.

Comment

Right now you can't make that someone belongs to two usergroups. For now just use this - let's say you have your coordinators and leaders. Make THREE groups - leaders, coordinators, leading coordinators. Get it? Or you can manually adjust forum masks per each user but that woudln't be too fun.

Comment

What exactly is a forum "mask"? I haven't seen that anywhere in the admin control panel?

Jux, I think you've got the best solution so far - in terms of creating extra usergroups to accommodate situations where a user belongs to more than one group (ie. if one is a conf. coordinator and a group leader, he belongs to the confcoordgroupleader group which has access to both.

Thanks.

Comment

there are 3 levels of permissions: group level, forum level, and user level. forum masks or access masks are user level permissions. you can edit a user's access masks by pulling up their profile in your Admin CP.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X