Security and email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security and email

Here's a thing. For security you set it so that members must activate an email in order to partake on your boards.
    That's fine, except what is to stop a member from doing this...going into their profile and changing their email address to a non-address, and posting libellous material which gets you into trouble but, of course, not the member because you have no contact for them?

Re: Security and email

Originally posted by John F
    Here's a thing. For security you set it so that members must activate an email in order to partake on your boards.
    That's fine, except what is to stop a member from doing this...going into their profile and changing their email address to a non-address, and posting libellous material which gets you into trouble but, of course, not the member because you have no contact for them?
    when you enable 'verify email option' a member when registering needs to confirm their email address and activate their a/c - with the option enabled members when they change their email have to re-confirm their email and reactivate their accounts - if they don't they will not be able to post
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I have tried this on a test account and it let me post as normal after changing the email address. Is there something i'm missing.

Also, on rare occasions, i have found that members 'awaiting email activation' have been able to post. i have had legal problems, so this is a worry for me.

Comment

I apologise. The test account was in a 'trusted' usergroup, so the restrictions didn't apply. I changed the usergroup and things are exactly as you say. Thanks Eva.

However, i do have that problem with 'unregistered' members being able to post...is there any tighter way to stop that?

Thanks again.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X