Any issues with this trick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any issues with this trick?

My dB is way too big to deal with rebuilding the search index..I'd be down all night...but here's a trick I thought of that should allow searching even words with low numbers like 2 or 3 without too terrible a hit...but I'm not sure if my assumotion is correct..so...before attempting something "bad" I thought I'd ask...

In the vb config, set the word limit to a high number, say 5 or 6 characters...then rebuild the search index..then reset that number to 2 or 3 (ok 3 or 4)...and all your new posts will have all those words indexed without too huge a hit since it gets added to the table one post at a time...whereas you don't have to deal with all those posts as you do with rebuilding an index...

will this work?

Sure... My question is why do you have to be down to rebuild the search engine? I have no problems rebuilding it while the board is up and running.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Last time I did I got a bunch of database errors, a table got corrupted and my searches stopped working...

Comment

Hmmm... What you suggested should work.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X