Lots of users having problems staying logged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of users having problems staying logged in

Including me. I moved my board from my current server to a new host. I have not been able to change the DNS yet, but I let users go to the new board (http://66.250.47.168/mb/ ). The problem is that most of my users and me cannot log in to the new board. Or rather, they can log into the new board, but when they attempt to create a new thread or reply to a post, it requires them to log in again. I'm having a similar problem with the admin panel. Any thoughts?

Oops, Admin, could you move this to Troubleshooting?

Comment

in vB admin -> options -> settings make sure the vB forum url is to your new ip for now also the cookie domain leave it blank and cookie path what do you have it set as for the new ip server/vB site ?
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Didn't seem to do the trick.

Comment

tell them to log out of the forum, close all browser windows and manually delete their forum cookies related both the vB forum domain name and the new ip address

then relog in again
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Honestly, I have a rough time doing that. I would hate to ask 100's of users to do this. Besides, I tried it and it doesn't help. At least it doesn't help me.

Comment

are you browsing using cookies or sessions ?

Comment

It's strange, because some users are not having problems. I have no problem at home staying logged in, but at work I cannot stay logged in.

I think I am going to turn cookies off for people who are having problems and see what happens.

Comment

I noticed a new problem.

I have changed the vbulletin options so that it uses the new IP numbers, however when the confirmation email is sent to new users, it still has the old address in the body of the email:
                  Dear Kar,

Thank you for registering for the Improv Message Boards forums. Before we can activate your account one last step must be taken to complete your registration!

Please note - you must complete this last step to become a registered member. You will only need to click on the link once, and your account will be updated.

To complete your registration, click on the link below:
                  http://www.improvisation.ws/mb/regis...087&i=xxxxxxxx

<a href="http://www.improvisation.ws/mb/register.php?a=act&u=2087&i=xxxxxxxx">AOL Users click Here to be Activated</a>

**** Does The Above Link Not Work? ****
                  If the above link does not work, please use your Web browser to go to:
                  http://www.improvisation.ws/mb/register.php?a=ver

Please to be sure not to add extra spaces. You will need to type in your username and activation number on the page that appears when you click on our copy the above link in your browser.

Your Username is: Kar
                  Your Activation ID is:

If you are still having problems signing up please contact a member of our support staff at [email protected]

Thanks very much,
                  Improv Message Boards team

Comment

Ditto

I have NOT moved servers recently, but have been getting a high number of complaints from users not being able to stay logged in as well. While I run a large VB (14,000+ registered averaging 200+ online at a time), I am still getting at least 10% of my users complaining of this problem. If I move them to another usergroup, then back to the original, then change their cookie settings, and back again, it will work for a few days, then the problem starts back up all over again.

This problem is taking up a TREMENDOUS amount of our staff support time.

A fix for this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by irc
                      I noticed a new problem.

I have changed the vbulletin options so that it uses the new IP numbers, however when the confirmation email is sent to new users, it still has the old address in the body of the email:
                      submit a support ticket at http://vbulletin.com/members/support.php with your vB forum admin log in details so that someone from support can check your settings

Comment

Re: Ditto

Originally posted by ladyfyre
                        I have NOT moved servers recently, but have been getting a high number of complaints from users not being able to stay logged in as well. While I run a large VB (14,000+ registered averaging 200+ online at a time), I am still getting at least 10% of my users complaining of this problem. If I move them to another usergroup, then back to the original, then change their cookie settings, and back again, it will work for a few days, then the problem starts back up all over again.

This problem is taking up a TREMENDOUS amount of our staff support time.

A fix for this would be GREATLY appreciated.
                        most likely cause is that the member's cookies on their pc get corrupted... if they delete the forum cookie from their pc (while all browser windows are closed) do they get the problem ?

another issue is ISPs such as AOL use proxies and the users ip changes causing the member to be not recognised...

Comment

Hi,

Being responsible for the forum of a swedish car site - Lazzat racing forum - i am having problems such as lots of our members are being logged out randomly.

The site has about 1300 members, some 100 of them online at the same time, and about 15 of them are having severe problems of being constantly logged out.

Some cannot even log in as new members, and some have been using the forum for months, and suddenly they get constantly logged out. Some experience problems for long, and suddenly the problem for them disappears.

Those that cannot even log in for the first time can register under another name to avoid the problem.
                          Strange? It should only relate to software/os/network/serverconfigurations, and not to certain user names/id's.

We have not been able to identify any connection to specific browsers nor OS:es.

Except for Windows XP - But that is a known problem.
                          Just as XP have problems displaying attached images in the forum. (strange??)

We know that our site is not making it easy for cookies, since the homesite and frames are at http://www.lazzat.nu, and the forum
                          is at http://lazzat.mer.nu/forum. But after clearing out those domain name problems by means of telling each member having
                          problems to change their cookie domain security settings, some users still experience problems.

We also know that we are loosing some amount of potential new members through this cookie problem.

/Best Regards, Johan

Comment

My problem seemed to clear up, as if the offending cookies expired between Sunday and Monday. I cleared the Cookie Domain option and made sure the url's on the website were all set to the temporary IP and things seemed to be ok.

One temporary solution would be to turn off the "browse the board with cookies" for the particular user. That seemed to work as a temporary fix on a case by case situation.

Comment

Here are just a small sample of the exact complaints users on my site have expressed:

"Sometimes I log
                              out and log back in and things work, sometimes not..
                              Being a IT manager I understand glitches in software
                              but these problems seem to be unrepeatable at times."

Same user, later that day:

"Ok, it has to be on the Board end. I have talked with several other users and tried everything from reinstalling Browser to manually deleting cookies. I have even tried using different computers."

Different user:

"I am trying to write a post (I have done this twice) I am logged in and go to post. Get the post form and fill it out then try and post it and it tells me i am not logged in.....I lose the post and have to do it again then it tells me I am STILL not logged in. Whats the problem????"

Yet another:

"My access is screwed up, I am a member and it tells me i am not logged in and it will not let me post, I log in again and rewrite the post and the same thing happens."

And another:
                              "I have had trouble logging in. Initially, I will log in and will come on a page that thanks me for logging in. Subsequently, I will get a second page that informs me that Im not logged in. When I attempt to launch a link like SEARCH I will again get a notification of not being logged in. When I again attempt to log in I will get a repeated notification of not being logged in."

There are several hundred more like these....from everyone from totally clueless net newbies, to IT professionals who are still having trouble. It happens on every platform and browser. It only happens to SOME users...never happens to all.

Our server is a dedicated server, and the DNS is correct. I have tried setting the cookie path to our domain. I have also tried leaving it blank. I have tried getting users to delete all cookies. I have tried every possible combination of CP choices for the users effected.

I repeat: this single issue is consuming over 80% of our site staff's current time in providing support to our users. I love VB. But truth be told, some of our staff are starting to ask me to move us to a new software, as our previous setup, while being slower, and not nearly as feature packed, never gave us these kind of problems.

I am desperately hoping that a solution to this problem will be found in the near future.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X