Moving Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Servers

The manual says I need telnet. What is it? Where is it? How do I get it and how do i set it up?

most hosts these days will provide a secure version of telnet, SSH

you log into your server a/c using a SSH enabled telnet client such as Putty http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ or SecureCRT http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/

i'd ask your host if they provide you with SSH telnet access to your a/c
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

// hmm its saying shell access is not enabled on your account. I believe i was able to get in on the server I want to move it to. I have a .sql file backup downloaded from the vB Cp. What should I do?

Comment

how big is your forum posts/etc ?

do not rely on the backup made in vB admin panel since it can timeout and not give a complete backup

you should contact your web host and ask them to make a backup for you and place the backup in an ftp accessible directory on your a/c for download
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Its only 3,346 posts. That is all we have since getting deleted by a hacker. I have been able to download the .sql document out of the vb control panel, its just that uploading it on my new host always times out. As for my webhost AdultHost.com that is precisely the reason I signed up a new hosting account, because they never respond to any of my emails and trouble tickets .

Comment

ouch... sorry to hear this

how are you uploading the *.sql file into mysql ? it will always time out if using a php/web script to upload or import the data into mysql

you have to do it via shell/telnet on new server/host

ask your new host if they have ssh telnet access or can import for you

Comment

FYI, CPanel, at least my host's version, includes a Java applet for SSH, so you don't necessarily need to download any client yourself.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Well we downloaded the .sql backup out of the vb admin cp. It is on my desktop now. My webmaster told me to log into our website cp on the new host, go to Manage MySQL databases, and go into this thing call phpmyadmin. On the page where the database i am *trying* to upload it on are a bunch of tables and underneath them there is a browse button. My webmaster told me to go there, hit browse, find the .sql file on my desktop, and press go. It times out everytime. It times out for a friend of mine doing it too.

Now I downloaded the putty thing and tried to log in to the old host and the new host. I tried the old host and it said "shell access not enabled." I tried the new host and I got in although I was not sure what to do. Is there some way I can use Putty to upload the .sql backup to my new host, it is letting me in?

Comment

You can use Putty to upload the SQL file to your new host from an FTP server. However, most likely here is what you want to do:

a) Upload the sql file onto your new host in using ftp from your local harddrive
                  b) Create the new mysql database for your forums
                  c) Run the uploaded sql file against the new database

Steps b and c you can perform with Putty. Documentation on MySQL is available here: http://www.mysql.com/documentation/index.html

Comment

If you can't import to a MySQL database yourself, then your hosting provider should assist you. Mine did, and it only took them a few ssh commands.

Filbert1, our hosting company doesn't allow the use of ssh through cpanel :P They first want to be sure they are secure. I told them, you are not never secure enough :P

Comment

Working...
                    X