Guests viewing threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guests viewing threads?

I have it set so that guests cannot view threads for privacy reasons regarding 2 members on my board, but I'm constantly seeing it as thought they ARE reading actual threads on the board (in Who's Online. I've searched about this here and apparently all that I can come up with is that someone sent them the URL of the thread, but I've been watching one guest for an hour and they are just viewing every new thread on the board, I've checked to make sure that my permissions are set the way I want them to over and over again, and I'm not confident that people aren't actually reading the information.

Although the IP is NOT coming from the place where the person I'm trying to keep away lives, I'd still like to know what's up.

Thanks.

It's probably just a search engine robot indexing your site. It happens all the time.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have a guest viewing a profile of a forum member many times. Are they really seeing the profile even with the guest permissions set to not be able to do this? It is not a spider's IP...its a person.
      Guest Viewing Profile of a Forum Member 08:47 AM 12-234-24-233.client.attbi.com

Comment

There is a known issue in the 2.2.x series with WOL that shows a user's location regardless of whether they got a no permission error. This has been resolved for 3.0.

While it's not the IP of a spider, it could be someone collecting your site for offline browsing.

Try logging out and ensuring you can't see the profile. If you can't, you should be fine.

Comment

Hi Ed,
          I did log out and was unable to see a members profile as a guest myself. I am using 2.2.6.
          I suppose someone was clicking on the user name and given the same not logged in message and so left...but the remnits of there last known location stays for the duration of their set cookies.
          Makes tons of sense!
          I feel better now hearing it from you.
          Thank you for clarifying.
          Looking forward to 3.0...getting better and better each time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
            There is a known issue in the 2.2.x series with WOL that shows a user's location regardless of whether they got a no permission error. This has been resolved for 3.0.

While it's not the IP of a spider, it could be someone collecting your site for offline browsing.

Try logging out and ensuring you can't see the profile. If you can't, you should be fine.
            Yes, but how are they getting to actual thread SUBJECTS? I can log out and click on a forum name or the User CP or something, and get a page saying that I'm not allowed to see that page, but I CAN'T get to an actual thread.

Comment

Hmmmm and there was a time where it said I had a guest "changing password" !
              That was an odd one too.
              Ed could you let us know how that happens?

Comment

It's the same thing that happened before. Or more likely, it's someone who got logged out when they tried to hit the link to change their password.

Comment

Thanks again for clearing up the little things

Comment

Working...
                  X