Importing UBB - Using the script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing UBB - Using the script

Ok, installation went fairly smoothly. Got everything installed and created a few test forums and members. I'm not sure this info is needed for these questions but here it is anyway:

My site location

I'm using VB 2.2.6, PHP 4.12, MySQL 3.23.47

Now, before I go too much further, I'd like to ask if I need to make any "do first" changes. I have just downloaded (yesterday) version 2.26. Does that contain all the latest patches and fixes?

Are there any security setting changes that need to be made at this time? By this I mean changes that are workarounds for bugs or coming fixes.

Now, to some questions:

I'm using UBB 6.3.0

1) When I use the import script (UBB to VB), does it import all the button images, etc that were used for different styles on UBB?

2) Some of those buttons are all installed into different directories on my UBB site, but have the same names.

like (example of 3 post buttons):
    ../ubb/post.gif
    ../ubb/someStyle/post.gif
    ../ubb/someOtherStyle/post.gif

Does the import script maintain those directory structures? Or does it just copy all images to the same location (thereby overwriting some)?

3) Will my registrations on the UBB forums, be transferred to the new VB forums? Or will members have to reregister?

4) Will all their personal information be retained?

5) What about all the information that is maintained in Header, Footer areas in the templates.... will that information be transferree?

6) What if I am using JC Templates... will that information be transferred?

7) Does the import copy all, or does it give an option of which forums to import?

8) Important: Does this overwrite the VB forums or just append to it?

Thanks,
    Last edited by ipscone; Thu 18 Jul '02, 5:52am.

Now, before I go too much further, I'd like to ask if I need to make any "do first" changes. I have just downloaded (yesterday) version 2.26. Does that contain all the latest patches and fixes?
    Not for the ones in the bugs forum. Those will only be changed for a 2.2.7 release.

Are there any security setting changes that need to be made at this time? By this I mean changes that are workarounds for bugs or coming fixes.
    Not really unless you want to make some of the fixes in the bugs forum.

1. Looking at the code, I don't think it imports all the button images automatically. Just specific ones (reply image, title image, icon/smilies if you choose, etc). Also, note that "import" in this case is *linking to* those images, not copying them.

2. See 1 - no images are copied.

3. Anyone registered when you do the import will be converted. Obviously if you leave the UBB open, newly registered users won't be imported.

4. As much as possible is. FWIW, I believe we use their login name instead of their display name.

5. No importation with these as far as I can see.

6. Templates aren't imported. They can't be.

7. All.

8. Appends.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X