email notification works, but not "send this user an email"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• email notification works, but not "send this user an email"

Using 2.2.5 (with the Freddies DB patch update) the email notification function is working fine for users who subscribe to threads. However.....when viewing a member profile and clicking on "click here to email k2webfusion" the user will get an error screen that the user has chosen not to receive emails through the system. Also, in viewing a thread, only the PM button appears, no email button so viewers have to go view a members profile first. What am I missing here?

Mailtest.php turns up no errors.
    Enable Email Features is turned ON
    Display Email Addresses is turned OFF
    Use Email Form is turned ON
    Require Unique Email Addresses is turned ON
    Allow admin to send emails is turn ON (yes)

This should allow users to send emails to each other using the VBulletin form right? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by k2webfusion; Thu 18 Jul '02, 5:33am.

the user "has chosen not to receive emails" in their user cp. so you can't send them e-mails using the e-mail form unless the user changes that preference in their user cp.

Comment

In the user control panel, that preference is set to Yes, allow emails. Still doesn't allow anyone to send emails.

Can someone explain 2 things:

1. Enable Email features?
      Enable email sending features: send to friend and email notification for posters and moderators. Don't forget to remove those links from the forumdisplay, newreply, newtopic, & editpost templates. Specifically, the last sentence about removing links.

2. Hiding the email address is what's causing the problem I believe. Checking off NO will expose users email addresses?

I want people to be able to email other members, but via the system, not by exposing their email addresses.
      Last edited by k2webfusion; Thu 18 Jul '02, 8:03pm.

Comment

We would have to have access to your Admin CP to look at this. Fill out a support ticket at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/support.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP and FTP. Also include the names of the members you are having this problem with.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

smachol, you are too fast man!! I just edited my post. Take a peek again, I think I may be simply misinterpreting the two features I added at the end.

If you still want me to open a support ticket, let me know and I'll send you the info.

Thanks a million!!!

Comment

Either I'm fast or your just too slow!

To do what you want set both of these options to 'Yes':

Display email addresses -> Yes
            Use email form? -> Yes

This will effectively hide the email addresses but still allow members to email each other through the forums.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

It's late, I'm definitely slow

okay, so if turn both those features on (YES), then users email addresses will be hidden and they can email through my forum.

It's a little confusing because I assumed hiding the email address option did exactly that and keeps the users email address from being viewed in their profile. I'll try it tomorrow, need sleep now. Thanks for the reply and assistance.

Comment

Yeah the wording is a little confusing but that's how it works. I have my forums set up this way so no one can harvest my members' email addys.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  Display email addresses -> Yes
                  Use email form? -> Yes
                  This will effectively hide the email addresses but still allow members to email each other through the forums.
                  Hi Steve ,
                  With 2.2.8 options, how can I acheive the hide the email addresses but still allow members to email each other through the forums?
                  I remember, prior to updates, it doing this, but now I get the "...user specify not to receive..." template message with just the "show email" at 'no'.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlebit
                    With 2.2.8 options, how can I acheive the hide the email addresses but still allow members to email each other through the forums?
                    You can't. This has never been a feature of vB.

Note that if you do what I suggest, members will be able to email each other through the forums, however the recipient's email address will not show.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      You can't. This has never been a feature of vB.

Note that if you do what I suggest, members will be able to email each other through the forums, however the recipient's email address will not show.
                      Um...you're suggesting exactly what Littlebit asked how to do...

Comment

I assumed he read my previous message and was refering to setting 'Display email addresses' to 'No'.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X