Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have found a bad bug with mail from vb 2.2.6

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Steve Machol
    replied
    I'm not sure. As Ed/Mike said vB3 fixes this problem.

    Leave a comment:


  • Paul
    replied
    Could this query (or a derrivative of it) somehow be incorporated right into the script so that when templates are edited, the script will automatically adjust any problems with line feeds and carriage returns?

    Paul

    Leave a comment:


  • remedy
    replied
    Re: Re: I have found a bad bug with mail from vb 2.2.6

    Because I wasnt sure if I had addressed all of the templates- more specifically I did not know how many OTHER templates there were as I did not feel like going through all of the lists of templates.


    Originally posted by smachol
    Sorry, but why did you run that query if you had already fixed the problem? I posted this in case someone else had the same problem.

    Leave a comment:


  • Steve Machol
    replied
    Re: I have found a bad bug with mail from vb 2.2.6

    Originally posted by remedy
    This is what has fixed the problem, .....Finally it is solved.
    Man, just great.. I ran that query and now my emails that go out have no damn carriage returns/LF's...
    Sorry, but why did you run that query if you had already fixed the problem? I posted this in case someone else had the same problem.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jake Bunce
    replied
    did you backup your database first? you should backup your database before querying it so you can restore the backup if anything goes wrong.

    Leave a comment:


  • remedy
    replied
    Man, just great.. I ran that query and now my emails that go out have no damn carriage returns/LF's between paragraphs, etc. I shoulda just left it alone now I gotta re-type them all again!!! argh...


    Originally posted by smachol
    Here's the query (which you would run in phpMyAdmin or your equivalent database manager):

    Code:
    UPDATE template SET template = REPLACE(template, "\n", "\r\n");

    Leave a comment:


  • Steve Machol
    replied
    Here's the query (which you would run in phpMyAdmin or your equivalent database manager):

    Code:
    UPDATE template SET template = REPLACE(template, "\n", "\r\n");

    Leave a comment:


  • remedy
    replied
    Well I was using Windows2000 Server / SMTP Server for simple SMTP relay. I switched to the new Visnetic Mail Server from deerfield.com and was able to see what the problem was. The destination mail servers are rejecting the mail because of the LF issues, so it's not technically my fault... I have contacted deerfield.com about there being a possible fix in the way Visnetic can process the mail before it goes out, but I dont think there is at this point. So far the solution has been re-typing the templates. I was unaware there was a query to fix these.. and still unsure how I'd run that query..

    Originally posted by smachol
    I wonder if it's something unique to your server. Obviously this forum (running 2.2.6) doesn't have a problem sending emails nor do my two forums. Just out of curiousity, what email program is running on your server?

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike Sullivan
    replied
    This is also a known issue and handled by vB3. The current fix is to replace all \n's with \r\n in your templates (you can run a single query to do this).

    Leave a comment:


  • Freddie Bingham
    replied
    It is an issue that some mail servers have.

    Leave a comment:


  • Steve Machol
    replied
    I wonder if it's something unique to your server. Obviously this forum (running 2.2.6) doesn't have a problem sending emails nor do my two forums. Just out of curiousity, what email program is running on your server?

    Leave a comment:


  • remedy
    replied
    FYI I never touched ANY email template until I fixed the problem by re-typing them all.

    Leave a comment:


  • Paul
    replied
    Well, that's odd. Did you modify your e-mail templates in some way? I've never seen such an error. Perhaps my outgoing mail server "fixes" these mails?

    Come to think of it, I think I may have never reverted my e-mail templates from 2.2.5... if you're saying this was introduced with 2.2.6, that might be the problem.

    Anyone else experiencing this?

    Leave a comment:


  • remedy
    started a topic I have found a bad bug with mail from vb 2.2.6

    I have found a bad bug with mail from vb 2.2.6

    I had a problem where a lot of email servers were rejecting almost all emails generated from vb. Because I used a very basic SMTP relay for mail sending, I could not see the specific error I just got "SMTP Failed-UNKNOWN RESPONSE".

    I have since switched to a new mail server, and now I can see the error which is: http://cr.yp.to/docs/smtplf.html

    This is caused by vBulletin sending emails with a missing LF .. I have had to go into every email template and respace and return all of the lines.

    This is what has fixed the problem, and it was a GIGANTIC pain in the ass.

    This problem caused about 500+ pieces of mail to fail.

    Finally it is solved.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X