Problems Posting - says user not registered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems Posting - says user not registered

Several of my users have reported the following problem being unable to post because the system tells them they are not logged in. (I've copied in details below in their own words). I've been unable to duplicate the problem. It seems they are in fact registered as someone else and logging out ends the problem - however, it shouldn't be doing this.

My site is at www.nesea.org/greencarclub/forums

I'm using Vbulletin 2.2.6, php version 4.0.6
    On a Unix or Linix site. I've edited some templates, including the registration template. I edited the registration file so that it produces a membership card upon registration instead of going to the the "thank you for registering" page.

Here is what they told me:

I have been unable to post messages to the GCC website. I log in, then type my reply to a message, and then try to post it. When I do that, I receive this message:

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
    You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Your User Name: Want to register?
    Your Password: Forgotten your password?

I get this message, even though I have already logged in. I have tried a number of things (logging in again, changing my password, etc.). Am I doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with the system? Please advise.

From another user:

I decided to log in again, picked my same user name and it told me that "Juanaton" already exists. Fine and dandy I says, so I log in with that username and password. I was told that I was logged in, things are looking up. So, I typed a new post and when I went to submit it it tells me I am not logged in! my post didn't seem to get posted and I wasn't about to keep typing the same post over and over again as when I logged in again, it again told me I was logged in, welcome and all that stuff.
    Do I need to create a new username and password?

Thanks
    Chris

Have they tried clearing their cookies?

Comment

If clearing their cookies doesn't work, try reuploading the original register.php file to see if that makes a difference.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

look at the group the user belongs to , they might be on "awating email confirmation"

Ben

Comment

Thanks, Steve, Ben, Cary.
          Clearing cookies does work. But it is not OK to have to ask users to do this. And when I have, it has beyond some of them. Would you still recommend reloading the register.php file?
          Chris

Comment

Oh, yea - I do not have the users awaiting confirmation feature active.
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by conductorchris
              Thanks, Steve, Ben, Cary.
              Clearing cookies does work. But it is not OK to have to ask users to do this. And when I have, it has beyond some of them.
              If their cookies get corrupted there really isn't any other option.

Would you still recommend reloading the register.php file?
              If things are working, leave it be. If you have more problems, then yes.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X