No announcement yet.

Very Slow Posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if it isn't down it still may be choking on the large number of email notifications. That is a server issue which you need to discuss with your host.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by happ76
      ok, but what if email server isn't down.. because my email server is up. I just don't know why responses are so slow. I appreciate any help you may provide.
      it doesn't have to be down itself.. if the member's email provider's email server is down it will slow down as well especially if alot of email notification members have emails that are down etc

it's a reason why i've banned 31,500+ free email provider domain addresses from my own vB forum... free email providers tend to disappear or close up shop... it can crash or cause high server loads when your mail queue on th server is piled up due to non-contactable email servers
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

ok I contacted and they said the email server is running fine and it's not choking on anything.

Comment

As geroge said, its probably the people its trying to send email to, there mail servers may be down which is causing php to hang when trying to connect to the mail servers.

Try disable email notification and see if you notice any difference, if you do then try tracking it down to a user in particular and ask them to change their email.
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

oh no, mail server isn't down. we checked sendmail program on server. It works fine - it takes less than 5 seconds to send mail to mail relay.

Comment

You misunderstand vBulletin.

It does it in a rather naff way.

Instead of being able to specify an SMTP server to send all outbound mail to, it actually initiates a connection direct from itself to the REMOTE smtp server for the domain that the email is destined for.

I suspect the "new way in vb3" will be the option of sending the mail to a SMTP server and forgetting about it. Let's face it, it is their job and no amount of PHP will ever compete with it.

I have this exact same issue unless some of the code has been changed in 2.26 but this was the way it did it in 2.24 and below iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by DBs
                You misunderstand vBulletin.

It does it in a rather naff way.

Instead of being able to specify an SMTP server to send all outbound mail to, it actually initiates a connection direct from itself to the REMOTE smtp server for the domain that the email is destined for.
                Uhh.. no, you can specify an SMTP server or, if you're not on Windows, your path to sendmail. It's all in your php.ini . It's not something vB controls at all -- it's how PHP's mail() function works. (AFAIK, the reason the mail function is so slow is that is re-establishes a connection to the server/sendmail for each mail to send out. So if you have a lot to send out, that's a lot of overhead.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
                  Uhh.. no, you can specify an SMTP server or, if you're not on Windows, your path to sendmail. It's all in your php.ini . It's not something vB controls at all -- it's how PHP's mail() function works. (AFAIK, the reason the mail function is so slow is that is re-establishes a connection to the server/sendmail for each mail to send out. So if you have a lot to send out, that's a lot of overhead.)
                  Where exactly in the control panel do you set this? I just searched for smtp and nothing came back. There is 1 entry under email options.

Forgive me for partly blaming vB but the problem still stands. The PHP mai() function calls each server directly (destination smtp domain). It does not pass it to a SMTP server.

This is the reason why. If you do not believe me, ssh into this very server, watch outbound smtp connections and reply to this thread. Watch all the connections being initiated to the respective smtp servers.

I had the same issue and looked very deep into the problem and under *nix, this is how php/vb works which imho is naff.

Comment

Originally posted by DBs
                    Where exactly in the control panel do you set this? I just searched for smtp and nothing came back. There is 1 entry under email options.
                    php.ini, not the control panel. It's server level.

Code:
                    [mail function]
                    ; For Win32 only.
                    SMTP=localhost ; for Win32 only

; For Win32 only.
                    [email protected] ; for Win32 only

; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
                    ;sendmail_path=
                    What you're saying doesn't really make sense given these options and what I've seen in the past (specifically people's problems with SMTP servers).

Email stuff isn't my strongest point, but isn't the only way to send the mail to actually go and talk to the destination server? So logicially, yes SMTP server connections are being made, but how else would you do it?

Comment

php.ini, not the control panel. It's server level.

Code:
                      [mail function]
                      ; For Win32 only.
                      SMTP=localhost ; for Win32 only

; For Win32 only.
                      [email protected] ; for Win32 only

; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
                      ;sendmail_path=
                      What you're saying doesn't really make sense given these options and what I've seen in the past (specifically people's problems with SMTP servers).

Email stuff isn't my strongest point, but isn't the only way to send the mail to actually go and talk to the destination server? So logicially, yes SMTP server connections are being made, but how else would you do it?

Not at all.

This is my setup:

SMTP server (3). This server run on NT which is not the greatest of OS platforms by any means. Now, the mail daemon on this box (IMAIL) has been told to forward all mail to SMTP-RELAY.BARRYSWORLD.COM.

SMTP-RELAY.BARRYSWORLD.COM actually consists of 2 linux boxes running exim. These are high performance relayers. They take all our outbound email from Imail, sort them, and then chuck them out to the destination SMTP server.

This way Imail does not get bogged down with a task which *nix has been doing for decades.

What the person above is asking todo is identical to this setup. He wants to relieve the burden on vb/php by blatting the email as fast as possible to one of his LOCAL smtp servers which in turn will send it on to the final destination.

Another good thing about this is that on our relays we can do fancy filtering/routing/virus checking etc etc without having to spend money on buying windows software etc. Also it allows us to protect our smtp daemons running on nt with "hardended" more robust *nix versions.

eg, I am about to send out a mailshot to 50k users from NT. This takes 10 mins as they are sent to the relayers which then worry about the nitty gritty.

Make more sense now?

Comment

Well, I'm staring at the C code PHP uses to handle mailing and it definitely either goes to sendmail or the SMTP server you have specified, depending on your OS.

I think what you're saying is that you should be able to specify an SMTP server connection aside from the php.ini one, regardless of your OS (ie, point to an SMTP server on *nix), which is something we've discussed previously.

Comment

DBs: You have the same exact issue in that responses to your forums is slow?

Comment

the thing is my sendmail is working fine. Perfectly fine. However, Posting a reply with cable took about 3 1/2 minutes.

Comment

Well, I'm staring at the C code PHP uses to handle mailing and it definitely either goes to sendmail or the SMTP server you have specified, depending on your OS.

I think what you're saying is that you should be able to specify an SMTP server connection aside from the php.ini one, regardless of your OS (ie, point to an SMTP server on *nix), which is something we've discussed previously.
                              Yes, thats the point I am trying to make. The only other way is to do a fudge with your local sendmail config and configure it to accept all the mail as deferred and then every x minutes perform mail delivery. This way it instantly accepts the email.

Comment

Originally posted by happ76
                                DBs: You have the same exact issue in that responses to your forums is slow?
                                I did have but I did some frigging around the system to bypass this. I will have to dig out my changes.

Try this to definately isolate the fault:

Create a new thread, reply to it. If the post is accepted straight away then its an email issue, if it is slow (and you don't use email notifications for that thread/forum) then the problem lies somewhere else.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X